Computer specs

mastahnke

Linux Man...
I am upgrading my computer this weekend and was wondering what items are really needed to increase the power of my system.

Right now I have:

PII 300MHZ
64MB RAM
7.5 GB HD
32x MAX CDROM
4x2x24 CDR
ZIP DRIVE
and a sound card I want to keep, (maxistudio)

I was curious, would I get more increase in speed by upgrading the RAM or the processor?
I can only afford to do one.
would upgrading to 128 or more ram or a new
PIII 450 be better?

Thanks a bunch.

MIKE

Welll you are talkeing a double whammy here.
due to the fact ur running at 300mhz, i get the feeling u don't have a BX-based board. What this means for u: Ur memorey is probly running at 66mhz. most modern mem. runs at 100+ mhz. im not a geineus at intel, so ill leave u at this: upgrading ur mem isn't the best choice, because ur talking a sierous hit at 66 mhz. i know from exp., i got a coomputer w/ a 400mhz proseccer. but at the time, thech. was so new the put PC66 (slow mem) in it. at first, i though it was pretty good speed lift. two months later, i replaced the chips with PC100, and my mem intensive programs jumped... it relly dose mak ea differnce. Prosseceor wise, I've sworne my allegence to AMD's atholon.... it runs at 200mhz to its FSB, compared to the fastest intel's 166, and is 5 times better at floating-piont operations (90% of the types of operations preformed by stuff like sound forge, wave labe, ect....) than an intel that has a slightly faster clock speed!!! I can't give u really good indepth advice about intel, but if ur intrested in AMD chips email me at john__murray@email.com ......

Jay

You really should get another motherboard that supports pc-100 ram, then get as much ram as possible. Most your audio editors will let you work on projects in either ram, or hard drive. Ram is much faster, but you gotta have enough of it to hold the whole audio file, and run the OS, and run the programs, etc.....

Inversting in 66mHz ram would not be much of a deal.

Your processor is fast enough, although, I don't think it will run on a pc-100 basis. You need to have at least a P-II 350 to run on 100mHz buss speed.

So, you just think about a new system. But if that is not an option, and you want to increase performance right now, go with more ram. But, don't expect killer processing speeds.

Good luck.
Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Back