Computer Sound Cards Vs. Built-In Interface Sound Cards: Is This True??

Mike Freze

I was wondering about the built in sound cards on one's laptop. Obviously, you can play songs just through the computer's speakers (sucks), or connect the port to external speakers with an 1/8" jack (better, not great).

I own a TASCAM 2.0 USB interface. Is it true that the interface has a sound card built into it? I've run a line out on my interface to my P.A., amp, etc. for better sound than the laptop. Works great.

If interfaces have sound cards built into them, then do they by-pass the computer's sound card altogether? And if you feed your line out from your interface to, say, your amp speaker for playback, is it your interface's sound card that is going to your external speakers? Where does the computer's sound card fit into all of this? When you use your interface and it's connected to your computer, why isn't there a conflict between sound cards??

Mike Freze

If interfaces have sound cards built into them, then do they by-pass the computer's sound card altogether? And if you feed your line out from your interface to, say, your amp speaker for playback, is it your interface's sound card that is going to your external speakers? Where does the computer's sound card fit into all of this? When you use your interface and it's connected to your computer, why isn't there a conflict between sound cards??

Mike Freze
Yes
Yes
It's still there
Because your sequencing software is configured to address only one set of drivers.

Back