Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Computer in separate room and cable lengths

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I've had the computer in a separate room in 2 studio builds now with no problems running USB2 or Firewire over 5m provided decent cables are used. In fact VGA video was probably the fussiest signal as the first cables I tried showed a fuzzy picture with ghosting all over the place. In the first room I had the cables running under the floor to the mixer in the centre of the room while in the current room they run around the edge (but the mixer is close to the front wall in this room).
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
    I've had the computer in a separate room in 2 studio builds now with no problems running USB2 or Firewire over 5m provided decent cables are used. In fact VGA video was probably the fussiest signal as the first cables I tried showed a fuzzy picture with ghosting all over the place. In the first room I had the cables running under the floor to the mixer in the centre of the room while in the current room they run around the edge (but the mixer is close to the front wall in this room).
    Hi James, 'ked up VGA signals had to have been a miswire, diss' or short. I made up a VGA-VGA extension some years ago from 2x 15mtrs of shielded CAT 5e (because I thought you needed all 15 pins connected. You don't!) and it worked fine.

The racked line mixer should be fine. Synth sounds are not exactly 'hi fi' ?

Dave.

Thanks
    I've ordered a couple of 5m USB3 extension cables with amps built in to restore the waveform - I'll see how these work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Hi James, 'ked up VGA signals had to have been a miswire, diss' or short.
    They were just very cheap cables which looked far too skinny to have the co-axial cores that ought to be present for the RGB signals. They might have been OK at the original 640x480 VGA resolution but certainly didn't work for 1024 x 768. Even good cables showed a slight softening of the display compared to a digital link.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
    They were just very cheap cables which looked far too skinny to have the co-axial cores that ought to be present for the RGB signals. They might have been OK at the original 640x480 VGA resolution but certainly didn't work for 1024 x 768. Even good cables showed a slight softening of the display compared to a digital link.
    Ok, but "ghosting" is usually associated with very poor termination or a cable that is a long way from 75 Ohms. Anyway, we know 'digital' is always better!

Dave.

Thanks
    Unless youíre way into playing the mixer faders like an instrument and as long as youíve got the inputs to spare, just make the jump and dump the thing.

You said the computer is always on anyway. Make a default project or template or whatever Cubase does that has your synth input armed and monitoring. Then all you have to do is open a new project and go and if you decide to keep what youíre playing, just hit record. Thatís a lot better than jamming, getting all into playing, and then having to stop to load up the program and maybe just lose the flow in the process.

I donít think you said what rack mixer youíre working with, but it honestly doesnít take much and as long as you dial it so that the computers clip before it does, itíll be fine on the monitor side of things.

Thanks
    It would seem that making the jump to no mixer should be the sensible move and will probably work for me once I get used to not being able to grab a real fader and turn it down when the phone rings - and have to use a mouse. Although I could probably just lower the channel gain on the interface if I really needed to do that. I'll give it a stab and see how I get on before mangling the audio a bit with the rack mixer - which for the life of me I cannot remember the brand - used on the video side of things at the moment.

Thanks
    " mangling the audio a bit with the rack mixer" Honestly Rob, even the cheapest Behringer mixer is just going to have about 3 op amps in the signal path and I doubt you will hear any increase in noise or distortion from those.

Dave.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Or maybe just a small USB controller. You can get Korg NanoKontrol for like pocket change nowadays.

I do see where it’s not great for hearing the other machine, though. Like if you never really want to record from the video comp to the audio one (why would you?) there’s no reason to waste the inputs and definitely no reason to have to mess with getting it through Cubase. Some interfaces have their own software mixer that allows direct monitoring of individual inputs. As much as I usually hate those things, it sure might help you, if you’ve got the inputs to spare.

Thanks
    Well - I've removed the walls, windows and door, and the two rooms are now one, and I've uncovered all kinds of things that needed fixing. The new roof is on because of what I thought was a small leak, but it wasn't. It was a big one, and the water ran over the top of the inner skin, and down the outside of the plasterboard. One of the layers is 9mm MDF, which I like in the usual plasterboard sandwich because you can screw into it properly. So the plasterboard has bubbled and lost strength in some areas and the MDF has soaked up water from the bottom. One of the ceilings has dropped about an inch in the middle and the plasterboard needs replacing where some of the screws fixing it to the studs have pulled through.I'm unable to run the cables through the space between the inner structure and the outer - which I dis when building, but of course I now have no access to the cavity - so I've put down timber on neoprene, and have a new raised floor. Lost about 70mm of height but I can live with that, and feed the cables through the space between the timber strips. The extra layer of wall sheeting has messed the dimension up and my plan was for a machine room which now means buying a new door as I've lost just enough to make them not fit!

I've been savage with the old kit and lots is going to the waste disposal. No point keeping it - just obsolete stuff that I worked out has been in a rack for 12 years and never been used once! The LX7 is definitely going - no need for it now I have got used to not having a hardware mixer.

Anybody watch NCIS? I'm thinking that I quite like that strange orange colour the walls are painted in the headquarters - seems to be two tones of orange/tan colour I think. Maybe I can get it matched at the paint store?

Last weird thing - I'm thinking I might paint the end walls green - so I can do the green screen things I do in my other studio, in the new one - having both the video side of my work and audio all in one place?

What seemed a simple job has become quite complicated. Repair the old one is taking more time than I expected - 3 full days so far and I reckon perhaps another 3. So far, the repair costs and the new floor have soaked up £400 just about.

Thread Information