Computer performance video I recommend

That... is a dry video title! :D

Probably a useful thing to be literate on tho.

edit:

2:01 "no Pops or cracks"
Ha ha! Whoops!

This is an interesting watch. So if starting with a 'clean slate' (ie: looking to build a pc/buy a custom), what is the best configuration to look at when aiming for best real time performance? I'm presuming processor is still important (something like a minimum of i7 or equivalent?)

This is an interesting watch. So if starting with a 'clean slate' (ie: looking to build a pc/buy a custom), what is the best configuration to look at when aiming for best real time performance? I'm presuming processor is still important (something like a minimum of i7 or equivalent?)

Now, I am NO PC guru of any kind at all but I have watched this subject for a good 8-10 years. A while ago it USED to be the case that if you wanted a rip snortin' music PC and,if you had the 'clevers' you bought a cracking MOBO and CPU and loaded XP/W7 onto it. You then spent 3 weeks de-bugging and getting all the bloated crap out of the OS.

You can still do that of course but the products of people like Scan (no, not on a bung!) are really very well priced and you won't save that much if you DIY. Plus you get a clean product with excellent support.

I shall throw my hat in the ring and say this spec would suit a home recordist up to maybe 100 tracks?

i7. MOBO should sport a lot of USB 3.1 (maybe TB3?) and room for 16G of ram*.
500G SSD and a 2+G spinner or two for backup and storage.

* 8 G should be enough for most peeps but if into 4k video the sky is the limit and maybe i9?

Dave.

Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment, I feel £1k would have to be my budget limit which seems to restrict budget to an i5 processor. Do you think i7 and above is an absolute must?

Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment, I feel £1k would have to be my budget limit which seems to restrict budget to an i5 processor. Do you think i7 and above is an absolute must?

VERY much depends on what you want to do and how you do it. If you want a zillion tracks, and ten to the fk pluggins with very low latency then i7 or better but for most of 'us' most of the time an I5 would be fine. Shoot! My 2 core i3 HP lappy can run 20 tracks of Cubase.

Talk to Pete (Scan)

Dave.

Thanks again. To be honest, I'm not sure at the moment. I'm using a PreSonus Studio 24c 2x2 so It's not like i'm going to be lots of simultaneous multi tracking any time soon but it's whether it's worth investing in the pc for VST (esp VSTi). Looking to dothe idea of doing lots of synth stuff or perhaps orchestra sample libraries.

Thanks again. To be honest, I'm not sure at the moment. I'm using a PreSonus Studio 24c 2x2 so It's not like i'm going to be lots of simultaneous multi tracking any time soon but it's whether it's worth investing in the pc for VST (esp VSTi). Looking to dothe idea of doing lots of synth stuff or perhaps orchestra sample libraries.

I am no kind of expert as I said but if synths (and therefore low latency) are your bag go for the fastest processor you cannot afford!

Dave.

I haven't looked into pricing lately, but I am pretty sure the I7 was only $100 more than the I5 when I built my system.

I am starting a session now, but can give you may exact components that work flawlessly. From memory it was around $1200 including case, MOBO, power supply, graphics card, 12GB ram, and I7 with extra cooler.

I'll get back

I just bought all but the graphics card, just 2 weeks ago. I can toss my build up if anyone is interested.

I'm replacing a Dell 8500 XPS Special Edition. Bought it because the specs were new, and cheaper on sale than I could buy the parts themselves. Including a Monitor, keyboard, mouse, and 3 yrs warranty/accidental replacement. $1200 total tax included.

i7 3770 3.40GHz
Stock cooler (upgraded later)
32GB Ram 1600
660GTX 2GB 6-pin
Asus Dell Mother Board uefi-bios
PCIe SSD 500GB Sata6
2TB Seagate HHD Sata6
(Total of 5 drives max 2-Sata6)
Soundblaster AUdio Card X-Fi
6 USB 2.0
4 USB 3.0
CD/DVD/Blu-Ray
475watt PSU
Win 8.1 Pro

This system handles every thing fine and never felt held back. Most tracks in a session 70, including vst's.
Replacing because it's 8 yrs old and Win 8.
Need to update to Win 10 Pro since Studio One 5, Waves, and others are requiring Win 10 now. More to follow I'm sure. I
always keep the components with the OS. SO when upgrading OS I build another. Reason is old school I guess. But every software on their will work as it always has. Seem to always leave something behind that can't move forward, lol...
I still have an XP computer with Video Magic and my first DAW (came with GNX4 not great) on it, lol... Codec's and everything about it was manual, lol.
And an i7 920 in a vista system. Skipped Win 98, but do have a WIn 95system still, lol, original hardware and slower than pong from Atari on slow mode lol... But they still play the games cd-rom .bat lol.

Latest build is the current new parts out there, Intel 10700k. Don't OC, but let it breath. 64GB ram, lol... Stuff is expensive now.

I'm new been browsing trying to figure stuff out, some terms I;m still not sure, Oh and Yeah I have a concussion so my amount of time on screen is limited to when the headaches starts.

I was going to use SVN (Tortoise SVN can't post links yet do google it) to keep track of the different states of progress of the audio I wanted to create and as well as the lyrics to songs etc... I'm already using it to control the changes I make to the Children stories, so I can revert any unwanted manipulation, is there a better way?

I have a gaming board, but since I can't do that but music is fine, well it is transforming itself into a DAW slowly.

back to lurking

Back