Is this computer acceptable for home recording?

Mdismuke

Total newbie here.
I want to purchase a laptop for home recording and need some help.
I prefer a Windows based laptop as opposed to a MacBook. I have never used a Mac and feel that I have too much to learn with running the programs themselves to have to worry about learning a whole new operating system at the same time. It's just not going to happen.

So, I have done some reading and watched some YouTube videos on what is "required" to run programs like ProTools and multiple plugins. Based on what I have read, I think this computer will work but wanted to get some feedback from you guys first. Unfortunately, my "newbie" status here prevents me from posting links, but hopefully I can cut and paste enough information for you to be able to offer your opinions.
Thanks in advance! :)

Dell - Inspiron 17.3" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive - Platinum Silver
Model:I5770-7432SLV-PUS SKU:6162040

Windows 10 operating system
Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you mark up Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

17.3" Full HD display
The 1920 x 1080 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity.

8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8550U mobile processor
Ultra-low-voltage platform. Quad-core, eight-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it.

16GB system memory for intense multitasking and gaming
Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.

2TB hard drive and 256GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed
The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

AMD Radeon 530 graphics
Backed by 4GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory for a fast, advanced GPU to fuel your games.

MaxxAudio
To give you great sound across music, movies, voice and games.

Weighs 6.2 lbs. and measures 1" thin
Prioritizes screen size without sacrificing portability, so you get lots of viewing space without the laptop being too hefty to move around. 3-cell lithium-ion battery.

Bluetooth interface syncs with compatible devices
Wirelessly transfer photos, music and other media between the desktop and your Bluetooth-enabled cell phone or MP3 player, or connect Bluetooth wireless accessories.

One USB Type-C port
To maximize performance on the latest high-speed devices.

Two SuperSpeed 10Gbs USB 3.1 ports
Ultra-fast data connections to transfer large files rapidly.

One USB 2.0 port
Quick plug-and-play connectivity for your devices and accessories.

HDMI output expands your viewing options
Connect to an HDTV or high-definition monitor to set up two screens side by side or just see more of the big picture.

Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer
Supports SD memory card formats.

Built-in HD webcam with array microphone
Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends or teleconference with colleagues over Skype or other popular applications.

DVD/CD burner
Reads and writes to a variety of media formats, including DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW.

That is more than you need with the exception of the audio, I would suggest you put in your budget an audio interface.

Thanks DM60.
I'm looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Would that be a good choice?

Focusrite, Presonus, Tascam, Steinberg among others (can't remember them all) are fine choices. Stay away from Firewire on a Windows based computer. USB 2.0 (3.0 gains you little to nothing) will work and is very stable. Make sure you install ASIO drivers and understand how that works. All sound for recording will go through your interface, both in/out for best results.

Welcome to HR and happy recording. Post on the site if you need assistance. Lots of good people on the board.

Focusrite, Presonus, Tascam, Steinberg among others (can't remember them all) are fine choices. Stay away from Firewire on a Windows based computer. USB 2.0 (3.0 gains you little to nothing) will work and is very stable. Make sure you install ASIO drivers and understand how that works. All sound for recording will go through your interface, both in/out for best results.

Welcome to HR and happy recording. Post on the site if you need assistance. Lots of good people on the board.

Thanks so much DM60!

UPDATE

I've been reading up on the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and though it will work, I've decided on the UA Arrow interface for several reasons.
Problem is, the computer I ordered (that is due to be delivered tomorrow) doesn't have a Thunderbolt 3 port. So I went to Best Buy to see what computer they have that will work and this is what I came up with ...

Dell - G7 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 128GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive - Licorice Black

Windows 10 operating system
Brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, such as the Edge Web browser that lets you mark up Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

15.6" Full HD display
The 1920 x 1080 resolution showcases your games and HD movies with impressive color and clarity. The antiglare finish reduces eyestrain and widens the field of view.

Eighth-generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H mobile processor
Six-core architecture. The Intel Turbo Boost technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it.

16GB system memory for intense multitasking and gaming
Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.

1TB hard drive plus 128GB solid-state drive for a blend of storage space and speed
The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design
Backed by 6GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory for a fast, advanced GPU to fuel your games.

MaxxAudio
To give you great sound across music, movies, voice and games.

Weighs 5.82 lbs. and is 0.93" thin
Prioritizes screen size without sacrificing portability, so you get lots of viewing space without the laptop being too hefty to move around. Four-cell lithium-ion battery.

Bluetooth interface syncs with compatible devices
Wirelessly transfer photos, music and other media between the desktop and your Bluetooth enabled cell phone or MP3 player, or connect Bluetooth wireless accessories.

One USB Type-C port
To maximize performance on the latest high-speed devices.

Three USB 3.1 ports maximize the latest high-speed devices
The USB 3.1 ports support USB 2.0 devices (at 2.0 speeds).

HDMI output expands your viewing options
Connect to an HDTV or high-definition monitor to set up two screens side by side or just see more of the big picture.

Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer
Supports SD memory card formats.

Next-generation wireless connectivity
Connects to your network or hotspots on all current Wi-Fi standards. Connect to a Wireless-AC router for a speed nearly three times faster than Wireless-N.

Built-in HD webcam with array microphone
Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends or teleconference with colleagues over Skype or other popular applications.

Basic software package
One-month trial of McAfee LiveSafe. One-month trial of Microsoft Office 365.

Additional ports
Include a microphone-in/headphone-out combined jack.

Note: This laptop does not include a built-in DVD/CD drive.

Basically, the same specs but a smaller screen and no CD/DVD drive (and more expensive).
But it DOES have the Thunderbolt 3 port (even though it does not say this in the specs. I physically saw it while in the store).
Your thoughts?

I haven't seen the Arrow before. Looks like a great way to jump into the UAD family. A quick read doesn't reveal which DSP processor they include with it, but I'm assuming it is a single core, maybe dual. Either way, they include a nice bundle of plugs which I had to pay lots of money for over the years.

The laptop should be fine

I haven't seen the Arrow before. Looks like a great way to jump into the UAD family. A quick read doesn't reveal which DSP processor they include with it, but I'm assuming it is a single core, maybe dual. Either way, they include a nice bundle of plugs which I had to pay lots of money for over the years.

The laptop should be fine

Awesome.
Thanks Chili! :)

Back