Comments on the TASCAM DP-008EX

pete12string

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a TASCAM DP-008EX. I am looking to be able to record 2 tracks simultaneously, copy songs/tracks to my computer and convert them to mp3 for writing to CD. I'd like to be able to do all the "normal" functions - edit tracks, mix, master, etc. on the recorder. I'm new to "computer" recording, but I'd also like to be able to play around with the tracks in Reaper, Audacity or other software. Just home use - hobby. How easy is it to use? Will it fit the bill for what I want?

Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

I'm thinking of buying a TASCAM DP-008EX...
I'm not even sure if this is the right forum for this. :confused:

I bought one a couple of weeks ago from MF with an included TM-78 microphone for $99.95, because I couldn't pass up the price. I have a pretty decent studio, but got this for scratchpadding.

I think it will do most of what you want. You can export the tracks to a computer as .WAV files for editing with something like Reaper, but I have not done it. I haven't done much of anything with it really, because (remarkably for a device with a $450 MSRP!) it did not come with an AC adapter and I had to wait to order an equivalent off eBay. NiMH battery life on a charge seems grossly less than the specs say, and with phantom power on...forget it.

I suggest looking at the downloadable manual to see in detail what it can/can't do. I don't know if you've already done this or not. I still have some questions after reading most of it.

To me, it seems a whole lot more intuitive than I expected and has more capabilities.

I've been looking for a reasonably active forum for these small recorders, but haven't come up with anything yet. I think exploiting their capabilities better with experienced users would be fun and productive.

I was going to try to do a completed song and mix pretty much entirely onboard just to see how pro-sounding I could get with it, but haven't had the time and organization yet.

Back