A combo audio card or digital mixer or "flat" audio cart with External Preamp?

yoedsmn

A combo audio card or digital mixer or "flat" audio cart with External Preamp?

Hello my friends
Need your help for a better sound
I have the Focusrite saffire 40 pro - I didnt like it - not the quality in general and specially not the preamp sound.
so...
I'm so hesitate between:
- Another audio interface
-A digital mixer
- A good audio interface without preamp and an external rack preamp to connet to the audio interface. ( on the Focusrite saffire pro 40 you cant plug an external preamp)
My needs are
Elec piano
Elec drum
2 or 3 guitars
One synth
A korg workstation
A mic
So...
what do you think ?
Thank you
One more question please
What do you think about UAD PCI hardware compressor ETC....?
Does it better from the cubase or waves compressor reverb and ETC...?
Is there a quality difference ?
Thanks again

Well, you actually CAN use external pre-amps on the combination inputs of the Saffire 40 but I believe they're just padded down and still travel via the pre amp. Even so, it might be worth seeing if you can borrow a pre amp or two and see if you like the sound better.

Beyond that it's a bit difficult to recommend things because what makes a "nice sounding pre amp" is very much a matter of opinion. I like a nice clean, natural sound while others want a pre amp that adds "warmth" or whatever.

One thing that might be worth a try would be a Soundcraft Signature 12MTK mixer (or 22MTK if you need more inputs). Soundcraft preamps produce a very popular sound and the channel auxes would allow for some flexibility in monitor mixers.

Not familiar with the Focusrite saffire 40 pro, but looked at a few retailer sites and it generally gets very good reviews. You also recently mentioned an AKG C3000 mic that you're not happy with. I think before replacing the Saffire 40, I think I would perhaps be looking at other mics that might yield more of the sound you're looking for. And as Bobbsy had mentioned the Saffire can indeed have a preamp connected to one of it's line inputs. Would presume you're using the line inputs for the electronic sound sources(?) Whether the pres in the Saffire may color the sound, here's Focusrite's statement.... https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849909

Apart from the Saffire 40 and discontent with the mic, what do you have for monitors and is your room treated?

Preamps can impart character/color to the sound of a mic (or other sources). This chart is likely a bit dated and not listing current gear, but can lend an idea of the sound a preamp may impart on a mic.....

micpregraph.jpg

The technique of attenuating a line level signal and passing it through a mic pre amp circuit is a perfectly valid one.
It is hard to see how a conventional pre amp circuit can "colour" a signal unless done deliberately or by using transformers (but even "iron" does not HAVE to be heard!) . A dedicated line only input will likely use the same IC as the mic pre the only difference being the values of the associated resistors and (Russ Andrews shit aside) resistors are perfectly linear at these voltages.

The only possible problem would be a slight increase in noise and, if badly designed, a worse CMRR but for most line sources you are never going to tell!

OP, how about a nice tasty ADAT unit?

Dave.

Back