Thread: Coil whine from 2i2

Thanks

Coil whine from 2i2

Sign in to disable this ad
    My Scarlett 2i2 has developed fairly bad coil whine. Sometimes a quick tap on the top of the case will make it quieten down quite a bit. And I usually find that pressing my finger hard on a certain point on the back of the case reduces the noise, and occasionally that effect lasts for quite some time after I remove the finger. But eventually the whine comes back. What can I do to reduce the whine permanently (beyond just cluelessly taking it apart and putting it back together again to see what happens)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ricecrispies View Post
    My Scarlett 2i2 has developed fairly bad coil whine. Sometimes a quick tap on the top of the case will make it quieten down quite a bit. And I usually find that pressing my finger hard on a certain point on the back of the case reduces the noise, and occasionally that effect lasts for quite some time after I remove the finger. But eventually the whine comes back. What can I do to reduce the whine permanently (beyond just cluelessly taking it apart and putting it back together again to see what happens)?
    There are a variety of ways of fixing things that aren't working.

One method is percussive maintenance. i.e. banging it until it starts working.

Another method is reconstructive maintenance, i.e. taking it apart and putting it back together.

So "cluelessly taking it apart and putting it back together again to see what happens" is not a bad option if you have run out of others.

Thanks
    This type of noise can often be traced to filter capacitors failing but if you don't have a lot of experience in electronics diagnosis and repair you may want to take it to a pro or replace it altogether
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Another method is reconstructive maintenance, i.e. taking it apart and putting it back together.

So "cluelessly taking it apart and putting it back together again to see what happens" is not a bad option if you have run out of others.
    +1 to that. If tapping it is fixing it then there's a decent chance it could be a loose screw that's serving as a ground point, or something like that.
    Don't discount cables and sockets, though. If one of the tips or rings on a balanced output was intermittent, that could result in interference.
    Last edited by Steenamaroo; 05-11-2019 at 11:25. Reason: typo
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thread Information