Clarett 4Pre versus Steinberg UR44

Delmont

Sooner or later I'll be getting a four-preamp interface.

The Focusrite Clarett seems to have everything I want — good sound (I like the Air feature), low latency, rugged build.

But the Steinberg is an easier price pill to swallow.

How do you think the two compare?

Thanks!

I have no experience with either, so I can't attest to comparative quality.

What I do note is this:

The UR44 has a better front panel layout with combo inputs on the left and their gain controls on the right. Adjusting gain for a channel means not having to find your way through leads. It has fewer inputs, but more outputs. Neither has a input/payback mix knob, so that has to come from software. Both have MIDI which is a plus.

I'm having a hard time understanding the price difference between the Clarett 4Pre and the Scarlett 18i8 (3rd gen). Yes, different pres and from what I read a different implementation of the Air feature, but since I don't have any vintage ribbons or tube mics, I suspect the Air is never going to get a lot of use in either case.

The Steinberg looks like a good option - it has the ins/outs I need but not as widely available ("more coming" at Sweetwater).

There's a new M-Audio Air 192|14 that has similar features and is even cheaper. My first 4-ch was an M-Audio. Its lack of a power switch and ability to sleep when the computer did cooked it prematurely. I'm actually waiting for their response on my question about that unit's power-state transitions before looking into it any further. (My Saffire works perfectly in that regard, and I've probably let my computer stay on for a month at a time or more.)

Update/edit: I got an email from the InMusic support folks saying the M-Audio does not sleep in response to the computer sleeping - because it is externally powered. (It *does* have a power switch.) That must be just an implementation and I hope I don’t find that on all these USB devices. Waiting for a response from F’rite on their models.

Last edited:
. . . Yes, different pres and from what I read a different implementation of the Air feature, but since I don't have any vintage ribbons or tube mics, I suspect the Air is never going to get a lot of use in either case. . . .
Is Air FOR using with old-style mics, or does it emulate their sound? I was assuming it emulates, using any mic. But I don't know much.

Is Air FOR using with old-style mics, or does it emulate their sound? I was assuming it emulates, using any mic. But I don't know much.
Focusrite says it's an emulation of their older analog preamp's sound, like the ISA One, I guess. To me any "lift" in the upper register suggests it's going to be something you might want with those mic designs that have a "warm" sound, i.e., their response curve rolls off noticeably. I've only got a couple of newer LDCs and they have a little bump up top, if anything. I don't mean you wouldn't find a use for it, and I'll give it a try if I get one of the F'rites, but it's just not something I've thought would be "decider" kind of feature. Maybe if I recorded female vocalists with great voices I'd have more interest....

Back