Change data drive letter

revnice1

I keep all my libraries on one disk and I want to change the drive letter. I'm concerned that the program that's pointing to a sample set won't be able to find them if I do that.

Does anyone know if that's true? Or do programs use the name of the disk, or the disk number?

Thanks - rev

I've shifted data around to different drives and also changed drive letters.

When I load up a song, I get a message saying it can't find this and that, and I just have to point it to the new location and that fixes it.

I was hoping that was the case. I can't think of any program that can only point to the original location.

OK, thanks. I'll try it.

I tried it and I got a bunch of errors so I backed out and no harm done. I can live with a really annoying drive letter.

It wasn't long ago but I've got trouble remembering the problems because I panicked. Win 10 started blathering about inherited permissions and then it wanted to rip through the whole drive changing the path on every hit and note and patch and it gave me a horrible ETA, like 2 days. I pulled the plug, living with a drive letter is better than risking the entire contents of the data drive which isn't backed up yet because I don't have the space.

I agree in theory that consequences would probably be minor, you might only need to point a program to the new data path. But I couldn't be sure I wouldn't have to point ALL programs to the new path. I think I have 91 plugs, so all things considered, I decided to leave well alone.

Back