cd-r mastering

tony moore

hey folks,

nearing the end of my research on setting up my first daw and i'm to the point of mastering. i already have a panasonic sv-3500 dat deck left over from the adat based studio, but as i wanted to be able to burn cd's anyway, mastering to cd-r seems a better choice. i read all of dragon's links to mastering, which were wonderful! my question, finally, can anyone offer any advice on mastering to a cd-r? specifically brand of make to ensure a true 24 bit. btw, my dat is an older 18 bit deck.

thanks,

tony

in case you're curious, i've decided to go with the gadget wave but haven't decided on software. i'll look at the demo cool edit pro that comes with the wave first. i have several mic pre's (art tube pre's, aphex tube pre's), and two boards (a mackie 1202 vlz and an alesis studio 32), several mics (including 2 rode nt2's, oktava small diaghragm condensors, the big black senn, and the usual sm57's and such), and various misc gear (some vintage tube compressors like an altec 436c, lexicon alex, yamaha spx 90, etc) that i'll be using with the new daw.

Well as to the CD-Rs capability to preserve all that bit depth, yes it can but not as an
audio CD. You've got to use it as a data CDR and just burn the files that have these extra bits. Oversampling (eg. 48KHz) is also no problem as the CDR only sees this as a longer file. This is a great way to wipe the deadwood off of your HD without the heart-wrenching decisions about what file to trash. 650MB for a buck.

thanks for the reply! if i'm not mistaken, data should be fine as this would be a 'master' taken to a mastering house. if i wanted to prepare a master using my daw and cd-r to be sent directly to a cd duplictor, you're saying this wouldn't be good. is that right? is this because as audio it can only be at 16 bits as compared to 24 bit with data?

thanks,

tony

[This message has been edited by tony moore (edited 06-30-1999).]

Back