Cd-r for audio only

Robert Rakoczy

I was at a computer stor ethe other day and came across a Cd-R that said it was for audio only (with a bunch of labels saying professional and such). This Cd was almost 4 times the price of a regular blank Cd-R. My question is: Are these worth the extra price? and Shouldn't they be able to record data along with audio?

Oh gosh...I guess this kind of confusion was inevitable, although don't feel bad, it's their fault. I just shudder to think of all the people (there must be some of them out there :-) who won't read this posting and will keep buying such discs in the misinformed idea that they're getting "special media for recording audio", as if it was a chrome cassette tape or something.

These things are specially made for the standalone CD recorders, and are no different than regular CD-Rs as far as recording quality or purposes except they cost a fortune because the music industry bribed, I mean, convinced Congress to charge an extra tax on them because they assume you're using them to make pirated copies of copyrighted material. The interesting thing is that there's no good way to find out where all this money goes to.

I'm working on an investigative report on this, but with all the things I have going on, someone is likely to beat me to the punch and anyone is invited to do so.

Back