"Captain, if she get's any hotter...she'll Blow!!!

getuhgrip

Bring Back Transfat!
I've been using an AMD XP2100 for the last year. I built the box with an Asus A7V8X board and some cheapie PC2100 memory. The thing has run hot since new (130-140F) in spite of using a monster Thermaltake Volcano fan. Fan runs about a million RPM and sounds like a pissed-off washing machine.

Anyway, I bought a new XP2800 figuring the 2100 was just bad outta da box, and I was due for a small upgrade. But lo and behold, the new chip goes right up to 160 degrees just loading CMOS! Ok, so I send it back to Tigerdirect and they send me another chip. This time I install it with this new "quiet fan" designed for the latest, fastest XP chips.
Again, the temp shoots right up to 158 degrees, so I shut it down immediately.

Do ya suppose that running the slower memory is causing things to get toasty, or do ya think it could be somthin' on the motherboard???

I went ahead and ordered a rippo-jippo Boistar board that uses the Nvidia chip and has a 400mhz bus. I guess I'll grab some PC2700 also.

Anybody wanna buy a fan that's as loud as an F-15? :cool:

getuhgrip,

I'm assuming that you are not over-clocking. Also, your memory has nothing to do with this issue.

It is possible that there is something wrong with the heat sensor on your motherboard but the only way to know for sure is to get another motherboard.

If you did not know, AMD processors tend to run very hot. It has to do with their design. So, this may be normal but I honestly can't tell you if this is normal or not (I’m an Intel guy).

I would suggest posting at: www.asusboards.com

Someone there will be able to answer your question(s).

Good luck.

PlayLoud

I've heard the same about the XPs running hot, but then I've built two other boxes (XP2000, and 2100) for other people and they run right around 109-119. Go figure.

I'm hoping the board change will make the difference. And you may be right about the onboard sensor being inaccurate. We'll see when the board gets here Wednesday.

Thanks-

It's probably a bad sensor or outdated bios.

If it's not crashing, or locking up, you should be fine.

Mine says that it's running at 150F - 160F. I've been meaning to flash my BIOS(have you tried that yet?) to fix this problem but I figure there's no harm done.

My computer hasn't crashed or anything like that whatsoever.

Most XP's should run in the 40's range when idle, 50's range when under load. If they get into the high 60's, sometimes they can become a bit unstable in Windows. AMD rates them as operational up to 90 degrees. So you're safe.

Your temps are a bit high. Not high enough to damage anything (you can run it just fine) but definitely high.

Here's my thoughts:

I don't think it would be your motherboard. The only way it could be, is if the mobo is giving the CPU too much voltage. The voltage setting is in your BIOS. I believe the standard Barton voltage is 1.65v, though I run mine at 1.7 for overclocking and it doesn't run noticeably hotter. Make sure it's set correctly, and check the reading on VCORE voltage in the BIOS meters section. If it's significantly higher than you have set (like more than .15 off) then it IS the motherboard's voltage-regulation. Get a new one.

More likely though, you're simply mounting the heatsink wrong. It needs to be flat and level on the CPU core, with a LOT of downward pressure when the clip is applied. More importantly, THERE NEEDS TO BE A VERY VERY (VERY) THIN AMOUNT OF THERMAL PASTE BETWEEN THE CPU AND HEATSINK. Are you doing this? Sorry if I'm just stating the obvious, you never know...

agreed.

i have to agree with boo radley up there...(sorry thats just what i though of when i saw that name).

The small gaps of air between the heatsink and processor can make all the difference. Thermal paste or the thermal pad if it comes with one should definitely be used. Also I would make sure you have a good exhaust fan as well.

I had a friend with an athlon 800 that kept crashing and when I went into the bios it reported 135 degrees...I'm assuming it was probably getting in the 140's when it crashed..He had an approved heatsink on but he just didn't have a good exhaust fan..I went ahead and ordered him a copper HSF and a 80mm case fan. Untill it comes in he's got the side off with a box fan exhausting the hot air :)...it took 20 degrees off the cpu temp though!

dlv

In the voice of Homer..."Doh!!!"

I didn't check the voltage settings before I swapped mobos tonight. It sounded plausable, but I forgot.

Installed the biostar and xp2800 with the slow pc2100 memory and whala.........40 degrees C! It benches 300 points higher on Norton's system info test. It is a little jerky opening some aps but I'm thinkin' 333 mhz memory will solve this. I'm also gonna reformat the drive to nuke all the old drivers.

Ok, so maybe the asus board's bad, maybe it's not. I'll fire it up in another box in a couple weeks and check the voltage settings. I'm kinda not believing this because I never bumped it up from default during setup...but who knows. If I find that they're higher than norm, and lowering them cools the machine, I'll use the board and chip in my DAW.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and comments folks. :cool:

Back