Can't install M-Audio Delta Audiophile driver on Windows 7 64-bit, please help

jd213

Have been using the M-Audio 2496 for years now, but my Windows 7 desktop died earlier this year.
Just built a new machine specifically for the 2496 using a new old stock motherboard (with a PCI slot) and CPU.

Once I got the PC up and running, I could't install the M-Audio driver. The installer (latest version 6.0.8) installs fine, but no devices show up in the M-Audio control panel, and the card shows up as "Multimedia Audio Controller" in Device Manager.
Have not been able to get Windows to detect the driver using any method in Device Manager.
Tried going to the C:\Program Files\M-Audio\Delta\Streaming folder and right-clicking and installing the .inf file, but it wouldn't let me.
When I install the MAudioDelta_x64 driver manually in Device Manager, it says something about Windows not being able to confirm hardware compatibility and that it doesn't recommend installing the driver, and when I install it anyway, it then says "This device could not be started (Code 10)". Same thing happens when I add the driver using "Add legacy hardware" in Device Manager.

Have tried different settings in the BIOS, re-seating the card in the PCI slot, but nothing changes. Tried editing the registry as shown on this page thegeekpage dot com/fix-this-device-cannot-start-code-10-error-in-sound-devices-on-windows-10/ Also gave DriverEasy a shot, but it didn't seem to detect the 2496 (strangely, DriverEasy tells me that some Intel stuff has driver updates, but neither Windows Update nor Intel's own driver update detect any updates). But still can't get the 2496 driver to install properly.
I know the card still works, since I have an old XP machine where it installs fine (playback works but the XP machine is too slow to record and doesn't support WASAPI).
Would really appreciate some advice, been tearing my hair out over this, as I built this new PC specifically for the M-Audio (main desktop PC doesn't have a PCI slot).

System:
Memory: 16GB
Processor: Intel Xeon E3 1270
Motherboard: ASUS B75M-PLUS
Video Card: Saphhire AMD Radeon R7250X

Have you made sure the bios for your motherboard is up to date? Do previous driver versions still exist that will work with your system? Sometimes newer isn't better.

Thanks for the response. The BIOS is up to date as far as I can tell, although the last update was in 2014.

Tried installing various other versions of the driver, with various degrees of failure. Occasionally it would seem like it was successfully installing the drivers, only to fail in the end. The beta version for 64-bit Vista (Delta_BetaV64_5.10.00.5069) was particularly troublesome, as its driver both failed to install, and whenever I tried to install another version of the Delta installer, it would give me:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753."

and the Delta_WDM_5_10_00_5057v3 version for XP gave me:
"The user is unwilling to install an unsigned driver on this computer."
Had to use a Restore Point to get rid of these errors.

I tried going into Safe Mode and installing the drivers that way, and it too seemed successful, but when I restarted back into normal Windows, Device Manager was still giving me Code 10 for the 2496.

Last edited:
This, How to Fix Error Code 10 (This Device Cannot Start) might give you some ideas but you seem to have tried most of it.

I have a 2496 in a W7/64 desktop and it works fine EXCEPT I tried W10 on the machine when the freebie came out. Hated it and quickly rolled back to 7. But, I lost the detailed control panels and have not been able to find them since.

Just today a nice chap has told me he has the software and he is going to stick it on One Drive for me. You are welcome to a copy.

Last thought, have you raised the problem with Avid? Used to be M-Audio of course. Many moons ago I found M-A service very helpful but of course most of these big concerns don't GAF about us small fry with our legacy gear.

Dave.

Thanks for the link, wasn't aware of the "Windows Compatible Products List", but couldn't find any M-Audio products on it.

Looks like m-audio.com has my e-mail and name on file but I either didn't bother to register my 2496 back in the day or they deleted my registration, and it doesn't look like m-audio.com will let you register a legacy product now or contact support without a proper code, so I'm probably out of luck there.

Would greatly appreciate any software or drivers, willing to try anything at this point.

As a last resort I can always try installing 32-bit Windows, and if that fails I guess it's time to try another motherboard.

Thanks for the link, wasn't aware of the "Windows Compatible Products List", but couldn't find any M-Audio products on it.

Looks like m-audio.com has my e-mail and name on file but I either didn't bother to register my 2496 back in the day or they deleted my registration, and it doesn't look like m-audio.com will let you register a legacy product now or contact support without a proper code, so I'm probably out of luck there.

Would greatly appreciate any software or drivers, willing to try anything at this point.

As a last resort I can always try installing 32-bit Windows, and if that fails I guess it's time to try another motherboard.

I have had some luck using registry cleaners when software won't install properly with Win 7. My guess would be there is some sort of legacy stuff that needs to be removed that a cleaner should take care of.

I have had some luck using registry cleaners when software won't install properly with Win 7. My guess would be there is some sort of legacy stuff that needs to be removed that a cleaner should take care of.

Yes, might help, Ccleaner is good. However, I do remember that when you start to re-install Delta drivers the software cleans up and deletes old drivers so maybe wishful thinking? Might not of course get into the registry but then 'puters are magic to me I just understand valves and stuff.

Dave.

Looks like the latest BIOS was indeed from 2014, but I went ahead and manually updated all the drivers that DriverEasy found, guess it was right and Intel's driver updater was wrong. But unfortunately it didn't solve problem, and neither did CCleaner. Guess I'll have to try installing 32-bit Windows, and then maybe try 10 if nothing else works...

I'm gonna stick in my 2 cents worth...
I have had the 2496 card working very well on 2 different W7 machines....one was an old Dell and the other was one I built....
Cards worked perfectly on both.....When the Dell died....I built the new box and installed the MAudio and things worked great.....but it was a bit of a struggle to make it work....
If I remember correctly.....and this was 6-7 years ago.....I believe I installed the driver....then inserted the card....

Here is a link to 2 drivers....If I remember correctly one driver worked and the other didn't...don;t remember which....
The 2 files....I had to change the file extensions from .exe to .abc in order to upload them to my cloud for you to access....
After you download the files....change the extension back to .exe and hopefully they will work for you....

MAudio drivers - pCloud

This link should take you directly to where I uploaded the 2 drivers....

When I moved to W10....damn 2496 card just would not work at all....even though I found a couple of forums that someone was able to get the drivers to work on W10....I could not....
I searched around for a different audio card....found a bunch of junk cards......you know big names in computer audio....but for good music work...worthless...
Then I stubled on the EGVA NU Audio card....it was about $250 or so....but I think it's just as good and maybe better than the 2496 card.....

I uploaded the files after doing a virus check......you should be ok......but after you download do a virus check yourself...make sure.....

let me know if this worked......or maybe these drivers are the same one you tried....

Whatever...nothing ventured...nothing gained....

Post back results...

I'm gonna stick in my 2 cents worth...
I have had the 2496 card working very well on 2 different W7 machines....one was an old Dell and the other was one I built....
Cards worked perfectly on both.....When the Dell died....I built the new box and installed the MAudio and things worked great.....but it was a bit of a struggle to make it work....
If I remember correctly.....and this was 6-7 years ago.....I believe I installed the driver....then inserted the card....

Here is a link to 2 drivers....If I remember correctly one driver worked and the other didn't...don;t remember which....
The 2 files....I had to change the file extensions from .exe to .abc in order to upload them to my cloud for you to access....
After you download the files....change the extension back to .exe and hopefully they will work for you....

This link should take you directly to where I uploaded the 2 drivers....

When I moved to W10....damn 2496 card just would not work at all....even though I found a couple of forums that someone was able to get the drivers to work on W10....I could not....
I searched around for a different audio card....found a bunch of junk cards......you know big names in computer audio....but for good music work...worthless...
Then I stubled on the EGVA NU Audio card....it was about $250 or so....but I think it's just as good and maybe better than the 2496 card.....

I uploaded the files after doing a virus check......you should be ok......but after you download do a virus check yourself...make sure.....

let me know if this worked......or maybe these drivers are the same one you tried....

Whatever...nothing ventured...nothing gained....

Post back results...

Greatly appreciated, but unfortunately still getting the Code 10 error.

The driver must be installed before the pci card with M audio

Thank you for the advice. I uninstalled the software/driver, used CCleaner to clean the registry, pulled out the 2496, installed the M-audio software again, put the 2496 back, but Windows still didn't find the driver automatically, and I still got Code 10 after installing it manually again.

Got a bit over an hour before I have to go to bed (famous last words), so going to go ahead and start Win7 32-bit installation on a separate partition.

No luck with 32-bit Windows 7, tried a couple other things like the "PCI Lock" option in MSconfig, but still can't get the driver to work.

So looking at a new audio card, maybe the ESI U86 XT. Not thrilled about spending 5 times what I paid for the 2496 though...

well I have same problem with my audiophile 2496.It doesnt work in my computer on windows 10.it work on my old computer on windows xp without a problem,but when I install windows 7 on that computer it doesnt work,I got error code 10 message too.Ive tried all above and nothing works.can anyone help?

Back