Can't get keyboard to work in Studio One

revnice1

I have a 32 key dumb keyboard by M-Audio. Windows is happy with it, it shows up in S1 as 'connected' and I have it set as the Input Device - but it doesn't trigger the instrument sounds.

I've tried the Octave button on the keyboard in case its set to an octave that's out of the instruments' range. No change.
I made sure the volume is up. No change.

The keyboard is brand new and it has worked in the past. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks - rev

I found the answer. At the end of the very top line of icons in Kontakt, there's a symbol that looks like ->|

Click that and set the input to the keyboard. That's it.

I found the answer. At the end of the very top line of icons in Kontakt, there's a symbol that looks like ->|

Click that and set the input to the keyboard. That's it.

Happy that you are sorted and props to you for coming back with the solution...SO many people don't.

On matters MIDI anytime anyone has a problem, download the demo of Modartt's Pianoteq. As well as being stonking good for piano sounds it is also a very simple to use but handy MIDI 'player' and a useful test rig.

Dave.

Second the tip on Pianoteq - I'm on 6 now and still fall back to it every time despite the more expensive and clever ones I have.

I've never heard of Pianoteq, what's the story?

ecc83: Thanks for the thanks but I think of posting back as almost compulsory, it's the purpose of a forum.

All DAWs do pretty much the same thing but they *think* differently. I was a Sonar user since it started but a lot the knowledge doesn't carry over. I'm a stickler for terminology, it isn't an Instrument track, it's a MIDI track, you don't Enlarge a note, you edit its Duration. Who cares? I do because I'm wasting time in the Help looking for the correct term 'Duration' and when I don't find it someone chides me for not reading the manual. Music has its own notation and I took the trouble to learn it but try and find a good Staff View!

Sonar died, or is dying, there's no more support and the forum's gone. I must adapt but I don't have to be happy about it! :)

I've never heard of Pianoteq, what's the story?

ecc83: Thanks for the thanks but I think of posting back as almost compulsory, it's the purpose of a forum.

All DAWs do pretty much the same thing but they *think* differently. I was a Sonar user since it started but a lot the knowledge doesn't carry over. I'm a stickler for terminology, it isn't an Instrument track, it's a MIDI track, you don't Enlarge a note, you edit its Duration. Who cares? I do because I'm wasting time in the Help looking for the correct term 'Duration' and when I don't find it someone chides me for not reading the manual. Music has its own notation and I took the trouble to learn it but try and find a good Staff View!

Sonar died, or is dying, there's no more support and the forum's gone. I must adapt but I don't have to be happy about it! :)

I thought Sonar was 'Cakewalk' and there is now a free version.

Modartt - Pianoteq 6. Smashing sound. My son was a fussy sod and did not like the piano in Cubase but he LOVED Pianoteq!

I am also rather pedantic about words but my area of interest is in electronics and electro-acoustics. My reasoning is...It is hard enough for the noob to grasp the technical parts of recording and he should not be confused by people using loose terminology.

Dave.

>I thought Sonar was 'Cakewalk' and there is now a free version.
It was, it was also 12 Tone Systems, then Roland, and now it's a Bandlab product. They are giving away Sonar Platinum for about six months and asking users to contribute to its next incarnation. I have orphaned a lot of songs in Sonar so I have it but just to export the tracks.

>I am also rather pedantic
I don't think it's pedantic, there's the correct term and rest are wrong. 'Momentarily' used to mean for a moment, not in a moment. Consider: 'The plane will be taking off momentarily.'

But I understand the need/temptation to watering it down for user-friendliness.

>I thought Sonar was 'Cakewalk' and there is now a free version.
It was, it was also 12 Tone Systems, then Roland, and now it's a Bandlab product. They are giving away Sonar Platinum for about six months and asking users to contribute to its next incarnation. I have orphaned a lot of songs in Sonar so I have it but just to export the tracks.

>I am also rather pedantic
I don't think it's pedantic, there's the correct term and rest are wrong. 'Momentarily' used to mean for a moment, not in a moment. Consider: 'The plane will be taking off momentarily.'

But I understand the need/temptation to watering it down for user-friendliness.
Haha!

"Decimate" is another misused term. Means of course 'one in ten'. And adverbs are slowly disappearing.

Dave.

I knew we'd eventually get to Roman legions. You left out the fun part, Decimate meant to kill one in ten. When the Romans lost a battle decimation was a punishment, they had to draw lots and the other nine had to kill the loser. The Centurion, being down 10% would be a nōnāgintā-arion. (I had to look that one up, Status Quo is all the Latin I know). Speaking of the Romans, it was them who held up the space program. The Saturn 5 couldn't fit through a railway tunnel in the Rocky's because track size determines the carriage size and carriage size determines the tunnel clearance and the track size came from the Romans. I guess we have to go along with the misnomers 'when in Rome.'

Cakewalk is dead. It's Bandlab now and I have the update to Sonar Platinum which is the version they're working on.

It looks as if they've done away with the Staff View, that option is disabled in the Views menu.

I'll have to revive the revered version 8.5.2

Back