Can't get General MIDI files into Studio One

revnice1

I've got plain vanilla general MIDI files for an Elvis song and I dragged one into Studio One.

I got a dialog asking if I want to load General MIDI sounds for the file. I answered No. The file was not included in the project but a track was created with no MIDI instrument.

I tried the same file again but this time I didn't get the dialog, I guess I'd answered that question and it wasn't going to ask again.

I chose a different MIDI file from the same song, got the dialog and answered Yes this time. The file was not included in the project and no track was created.

So what do I have to do to get a MIDI file into a project?

Thanks - rev

Found the answer: You don't drag the files in one at a time. You drag the MIDI.zip into the project and the files are automatically decompressed and placed on a different track.

You tried to drag in MIDI tracks one by one? How? Surely the MIDI file you have is all the tracks in one file? The zip isn't loads of separate tracks is it?

Yeah, the zip was all the tracks zipped into one. I didn't know S1 could unzip while you dragged so I did that first and then started dragging

But it can and does unzip all the tracks. If you have a zip containing all the midi files for a song, you can drag the zip into the project and you'll see half a dozen MIDI tracks clinging to your cursor one below the last such that all get placed on a track of their own. You just have to add the instruments you want.

First a correction, it wasn't a zip it was a bunch of MIDI files bundled into one, so Rob above was right. Even so, it's kinda nifty that S1 can sort it all out in the time it takes you to drag.

>But surely it does exactly the same when you feed it the midi file extracted from the zip?
That's exactly what I thought, what's the difference? I still don't know, you should be able to drag in a single file - so I'm guessing it's related to the fact that it was once part of a bundle and the bundle carried additional information that the single file didn't have. Only a guess though.

Back