Can we work at a higher bit/sample-rate than what the DAC supports ?

Red Yhem

Hello , first of all excuse my grammar , English is not my first language.

I've learned that in terms of audio quality , the DAC only gives a better quality to the sound coming out of your speackers. It doesn't affect the internal quality of it (what anyone would hear on there equipment).
So is it necessary for exemple to have a DAC that supports 96khz - 32bit to work on a projet and actually have this resolution or can you have the same results (for the internal sound) by using a 41khz - 24 bit DAC ?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me :)

24/44k is wide and forgiving and exceeds our needs for capture. The 32bit float in the DAW comes in for all of the manipulation and processing we do to the files.
But it is true, the DAC doesn't effect the quality of the final exported files, just the play back.

Thanks , so there is also no problem of working at a higher sample rate ? the daw will accept it without any problems ?

Thanks , so there is also no problem of working at a higher sample rate ? the daw will accept it without any problems ?

I'll pass for this question as I'm not sure, but I'd suspect it would be the D/A would want -or perhaps need to run the same rate as the DAW's project rate. The higher rates also present more load to the computer's capability, so there's that.

Welcome to our fun-house by the way. :guitar: Where are you located?

Many work a higher sample rates for mixing and what not, then convert to lower for final mix down. The upside of higher sample rates is for working with a file that has more information and nothing is lost while working/editing with the file. I have heard some on the board like to work with the higher sampled sound.

I am not at the level where I can notice any difference. I usually stay at the 16/44 level which is CD quality. My ears cannot tell the difference at higher levels, not saying it isn't good, but I cannot notice a difference.

Back