Can u run a 2nd monitor off 1 of the new iMac's??

c_r_a_z_y

Doesn any one know if u can run a 2nd monitor off one of the new DV special edition iMacs! Cos i hjave just bought one and it would usful to be able to have Digital Performer and Cubase open on 2 different screen!
Thaks to any one can help!
Cheers!
c r a z y

Huh??? Ah well!

Does any one in here actually use a mac aor am I the only one! I never see any one talkin about macs in this place!

c_r_a_z_y said:
Huh??? Ah well!

Does any one in here actually use a mac aor am I the only one! I never see any one talkin about macs in this place!

[tumbleweed rolls by] :p

Anyhow, iMac's from my experience usually eqauls no upgrade path. So... I really doubt it. if you had one of the blue G4's ... yeah, you could easily pop in a second card. Don't see that happening with ANY i(diot)Mac.. if your gonna get a mac... get a real one. Like the blue's or the silver ones. Dual 1Ghz G4... oh yeah.. with a superdrive!

want to upgrade a iMac monitor?.. ahhahahaha..

anyhow...

Go to: http://acapella.harmony-central.com

Talkin' about MACS around here, will get you labeled as the antichrist. Simply put. What does that tell you ? Ignorance is bliss, I guess. I mean, my main CPU is a MAC, But I don't shut broken windows out completely. I have a PC for certain apps I can't get for my MAC. The PC is alright, It's broken windows that sucks. So I'm lucky. I know from experience where I should be.

Blah,Blah,Blah

Anyway, if your IMAC is the new G4 model, there is a video out port next to the power button on the back. The same port is found on the Ibooks. You need to get an adapter from apple, which will allow you to connect to a mirrored VGA monitor.

GoodLuck,
T.J.Hooker:cool:

"Talkin' about MACS around here, will get you labeled as the antichrist. Simply put. What does that tell you ? "

I have wondered about that on this board... any ideas on why certain segments of the DAW and audio world are so looked down on? ESPECIALLY if, god forbid, it is not budget conscious. I understand this is home recording, but some stuff does cost $$ and it is worth the $$ to some people.

Huh?
I'm not sure I know what your gettin' at.

O.K., Maybe I do, but I could be way off.

I think alot of the windows users here see this board as what it is. "HOME" recording. It's a hobby. So why spend all that money? I'm down with that.

This is more than a hobby to me, but even if it were just a hobby, I think I'm weird in the sense that, If I can't go all the way, I don't want to go. So I choose what I see 98% of the the pros using.

Others that aren't concerned about the money, but still use "only" their PC's, and won't even look at anything else, are stubborn.
"Don't be a stick in the mud!"

Just an observation. No offense meant people.

Watch the onslaught that happens when they read this. It's proof my friend.

What did I start this time!:rolleyes:

Getting my shield ready,

Last edited:
"This is more than a hobby to me, but even if it were just a hobby, I think I'm weird in the sense that, If I can't go all the way, I don't want to go. So I choose what I see 98% of the the pros using."

See, you DID know what I was getting at. Sorry if my command of our language is off this morning.

I agree with your view 1000%.

Cheers T.J Hooker!
Yeah this is kinda of a hobby/career for me! I study music tech so Im hoping to do this in a few years as a job I recently got my mac cos like u say it obviuosly doin sumthing right as most pro studios use macs not the dreaded PC!!!! But PC's do have some uses I wanna get a PC to run giga sampler but that will be in the future!
I know about the port to run a external monitor underneath the the machine but I thought that would only show the same as what u were seeing! I wanted 2 monitors so i could see cubase and Digital performer at the same time!
And I dont want to anoy any one here but I am affriad Mac's are better than PC's for Mulitmedia! Just take a look at what the Pro's use!!!! :P
If any one else has got any more advice on the 2nd monitor thing I would aprciate it cheers! :)

c_r_a_z_y said:

I know about the port to run a external monitor underneath the the machine but I thought that would only show the same as what u were seeing! I wanted 2 monitors so i could see cubase and Digital performer at the same time!

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Hence the term "video mirroring".

If that's the case, I'm afraid it's impossible without the PCI capability. Trade it in for the 733Mhz if money is a factor, if not, go for the beast, dual 1ghz. That's all I can think. Sorry bro!

I am afraid you can't do that with an iMac. What it does is video mirroring, that is sending the same video to the second monitor output (that iMac has a vga out). But you can't make it display a different thing.

Here's the transcription from my chat about it on the #macintosh irc channel:

<cordura21> hi guys
<Cardo> hey cordura
<_Halo_> hi cordura
<KingDana> hey
*** DamnHippie sets mode: +b *!*@you.know.when.you.ve.been.greped.org.uk
*** grep was kicked by DamnHippie (Thank you for staying at #MacHotel, check out time is...now. )
<cordura21> I have a question for you. Can you plug a second monitor in the new iMac?
<EuroTrash> erm...where's the app support folder?
<Cardo> System Folder
<DamnHippie> in the system folder
<Cardo> cordura, yeah, but it'll only do video mirroring
<EuroTrash> and can I just dump my old faces folder into it?
<cordura21> ok. It's super video?
<KingDana> Yeah you can. We got one here today, it looks pretty nice
<DamnHippie> no, you have to do an Import in the new ircle prefs to convert your old facefile
<KingDana> It only supprts Mirroring, so I would say yeah
<Cardo> cordura, VGA
<Elory> cordure, in other words, you can only set up a second monitor that shows
the same image.
<Elory> The VGA plug is out the butt, behind the panel.
<Cardo> behind the panel?
<cordura21> txs. I thought you could use it as a second monitor
<KingDana> no
<EuroTrash> Thanks Hippie: that worked out nicely
<Cardo> dual monitors is a Power* feature
<Elory> On my iMac there's an oval panel that pops out.
<Cardo> Elory, yeah, but it's different on new iMacs
<EuroTrash> can you play any games on dual monitors?
<KingDana> iMacs only do Mirroring
<Elory> Nevermind... :-D
<Cardo> ET, hmm, sure, but you see the same image on both monitors
<KingDana> Anything with an i in the name does mirroring
<cordura21> Cardo: I have an iBook with s/video out. Those can do double video, right?
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o MacServ
<Cardo> or one goes blank if it doesn't support the resolution used
<EuroTrash> Cardo: not much point then
<EuroTrash> "<
<KingDana> G4 powermacs and powerbooks do Exteneded desktops
<Cardo> cordura, video mirroring
* Ben^ beams back.
<Cardo> ET, it is, if you want to use a bigger monitor
* EuroTrash runs dual monitors
<KingDana> Or do presentions
<Cardo> exactly
<Elory> useful for pair programming.
<KingDana> School settings
<Cardo> dual monitors is cool, yeah, but only a pro feature, unfortunately
<cordura21> and when you connect the s/video out to watch dvd, is that mirroring also?
<_Halo_> anyone used it on a portable?
<_Halo_> anyone used it on a portable?
<Cardo> used what?
<Cardo> cordura, yup
<KingDana> I have on a G4, DVD does not mirror
<Cardo> although the DVD will only show up on the TV
<Elory> Anybody with apache experience on Mac OS X?
<Cardo> the LCD goes dark
<_Halo_> cardo: another screen plugged in doing the video mirroring
<cordura21> txs. Cause it's a very popular feature when you're recording music with the Mac
<KingDana> Well, its the 2nd screen that goes dark
<KingDana> The main screen displays the DVD
<Cardo> Kingdana, on an iBook, if you hook it up to a TV, the LCD goes dark
<Cardo> which is what he was referring to
<KingDana> I have not done that on my iBook
<_Halo_> that was what i wondered
<KingDana> I had only done it a G4
<EuroTrash> blah
<KingDana> Yeah
<EuroTrash> My dog just came in covered in something brown sticky and crusty
<KingDana> Nice :)
<cordura21> txs for the help

Just as an overall thought, I tend to find Mac's trying to be more PC like. At the same time, I find PC's trying to be more Mac like.

OSX introduces its first jump into a syntax based engine. Unix. You can even access the unix prompt from OSX. Mac now sees the importance of the ability for users to interface with their computers at a lower level. At the same time, Windows is definatly trying to dumb up the operating system.. not without loosing its high configurablity.

Both companies have a lot to learn from each other.

My personal opinion is that there is no bad system, Its what you feel comfortable with.

Also, I would also like to mention that the reason most pros use macs are 1. in the beginning, Macs were far more easier to use and therefore adopted more quickly in the professional world. and 2. most people are reluctant to change. Learning a whole new operating system takes to much time. The advantage to learning a new interface isnt enough to compensate for the time involved.

in the end, to say one is better then another is a biased, unresearched, unintelligent and idiotic remark one can make.

Hmmmm K cheers! No 2nd monitor for me then :( Might get a bigger screen for it tho! :) Doubt it is really worth it tho! Hmmm Nevermind! One day I will own a G4!!! :)
That will be when im not a student any more tho and doin this stuff for a living!

Hey Cordura21, Thanks from all of us in a rural area stuck with 56K, for the BIIIIGGG, LONNNNGGG, Transcription:p ;) Good info none the less.

WildFire said:
Also, I would also like to mention that the reason most pros use macs are 1. in the beginning, Macs were far more easier to use and therefore adopted more quickly in the professional world. and 2. most people are reluctant to change. Learning a whole new operating system takes to much time. The advantage to learning a new interface isnt enough to compensate for the time involved.

in the end, to say one is better then another is a biased, unresearched, unintelligent and idiotic remark one can make.

It is my feeling that, in the professional world change is inevitable. It is an ever changing cycle. New shit is coming out all the time, open your eyes.

If professionals were reluctant to change, They would still be recording the whole band at once on a mono track.
To say most people are reluctant to change is probably so.

But, to say professionals are reluctant to change is a very biased, unresearched, unintelligent and idiotic remark to make.

ROCK ON,

T.J.Hooker said:
Hey Cordura21, Thanks from all of us in a rural area stuck with 56K, for the BIIIIGGG, LONNNNGGG, Transcription:p ;) Good info none the less.

It is my feeling that, in the professional world change is inevitable. It is an ever changing cycle. New shit is coming out all the time, open your eyes.

If professionals were reluctant to change, They would still be recording the whole band at once on a mono track.
To say most people are reluctant to change is probably so.

Your comparing a forward change to a parallel change. To switch from Mac to PC really has no benefits. As you generally can do the same tasks on each machine.

But, to say professionals are reluctant to change is a very biased, unresearched, unintelligent and idiotic remark to make.

Touche...

granted i said "most people" not "all professionals". While people do move forward, it shows with the fast progression the world moves today, other things stay the same. Maybe not forever, but with reluctance. Humans are habitual creatures. (yeah yeah... one to many psych classes.. okay i'm gonna stop before i get to geeky)

Yeah, we all got a little geekiness in us. But, this is how we clean it out, typin' this shit on here all damn day to any other geek on this board that will bite, and reply. we know how to have fun though damn it! Rage on wildfire!;)

80's Captian Kirk wannabe,

Back