Can I do this with a Motu M4?

Laimon

Ok, it's actually two things:

1) can I route via ASIO different signals to different outputs, e.g. my player's audio to my PC speakers and the output of a guitar simulation plugin to another output, to go to a guitar cabinet?
2) can I apply effects to the signal chain? More specifically, can I equalize the output to my PC speakers?

Thanks for your help!

Within your DAW you can route individual channels to whatever outputs show up in your ASIO output options screen for the Motu. But that will only cover Motu outputs. You can't simultaneously output to the interface and to the internal audio of the PC.

The Motu has four outputs, but even though they are labelled 1 to 4, they may not be selectable from the ASIO panel. I think they are just monitor outputs.

Uh, that's not great news.
Does the audio interface come with any routing/mixing software? For instance, my current interface (an E-mu 1616m - I know, quite old) provides a mixer by which you can control routing quite deeply, and apply effect (eq is crucial depending on your speakers)

Some interfaces come with their own software, but I have no experience with the Motu.

Having said that, I don't apply any effects between DAW output, interface and monitors, and I expect that to be the case for most people involved with recording. The broad idea is that speakers and listening environment should be acoustically neutral, i.e. they don't impart any significant influence on the sound you hear so that you can be confident that you get what you can hear.

Yeah, in theory you would want that...but in practice your speakers are never entirely flat, and also your room might emphasize some frequencies more than others. So in the end I find that a touch of eq (nothing crazy) really helps with perfecting your setup.

Yeah, in theory you would want that...but in practice your speakers are never entirely flat, and also your room might emphasize some frequencies more than others. So in the end I find that a touch of eq (nothing crazy) really helps with perfecting your setup.

In which case you can put an EQ on the output of your DAW.

You might want to look into equalizing monitors a bit more deeply friend? A speaker can only be 'corrected' (and that only slightly) for one place in the room where your head is. Then, if you look at even good room curves they dive by several dBs. To correct a dip of just 6dB at 80Hz say would need four times as much amplifier power.

Yes, theatre sound systems often have 1/3thrd octave graphics on each channel but,
1) they are mainly to reduce feedback
2) they have kWs of amp power on hand!

I think most folks, over here at least, buy the best monitors they can, treat the room as well as they can then learn it?

Dave.

Back