Can Cool Edit handle a 24 bit sound card? Also Logic Plat question!

faabud

I am going to be purhasing a new card. I want a good sound card for recording vocals. As that's mainly all I do. Currently I have the SB live Plat 5.1 which not all that bad. It was good for a beginning stages. But I want a 24bit card. I use Cool Edit to record most of the time. I was just wondering if a 24bit card can be used with Cool Edit to it's full potential. As I am not sure if cool edit can take in 24bit quality. Also I am looking a cheap soundcard, I have the Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer(pre amp), a RNC compressor, a Shure SM58 mic. So will a soundcard make a difference. I already get pretty nice quality. I just want a little more. I am also upgrading my mic to a AKG C3000 in the next month.

Also if Cool Edit does not support 24 bit recording. Should I use Logic Audio? I have it but I cannot really understand it. I have been fiddling around, reading etc for a month and I got it to work to an extent. I want to put a "Beat" wav on one track. Then with the other tracks record as I listen to the beat in my headphones. But when I try to record on another track the original beat just stops playing. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. But the audio is clear and stuff. Anyways thanks....

jsahajpal@interbaun.com

Yes CEP can handle 24bit.
You would select 32bit float for recording. It can also do 192Khz as well. Its only draw back ( but what keeps it stable ) is lack of real time fx.
A nice Sound card that will grow with you over time is the Delta 1010. If this card is outside your price range ( $599 @ Mars ) the other delta cards are fine.

You will notice much improvement in sound quality with a decent converter at 24bit. The SBLive, although a great card in its own right and sounds as good as 1/4 in tape, is too noisy for CD quality multitrack recording ( IMO ). When you start adding several tracks of 16bit audio with a -89db noise floor you start to loose clairity, sparkle, air, etc....

It should be noted that CEP was reading and writing multiple 24 and 32 bit formats long before Cakewalk, Logic, and many others started handling 24 bit files.

Back