burning unsaved songs

SilentSound

This won't be an issue soon cuz new computer is on the way, but if i record a program to cool edit and don't have the memory to save it, can i burn it?

Don't run that low on free disk space! Windows won't like being squeezed on disk space. Also check with the SW docs to find the additional disc space needed just to lubricate your CD burning software.

Yo SilentSound...

Don't confuse memory and disk space. Memory comes in chips and usually is 64 MB for maybe $80, but disk space is now running about $10 per GB...about 1000 times cheaper. If Cool Edit actually limited you to memory space as far as how much you can record, you couldn't record much of anything because WAV files are 10 MB/minute for stereo and you would run out pretty fast. So you will need a minimum of 250 MB or so. See https://homerecording.com/digitalmath.html

All i am saying is that if it is physically in the computer, why can't i burn it. or actually since i never got an answer, can i burn it?? Doesn't matter anymore. I got a new computer(my own at that)thanks for clearing up memory and disk space.

I still don't quite understand the question. If it's physically in the computer, to me that means it's stored as a WAV file. So you burn the WAV file to CD-R. End of problem. Or can you explain it differently?

Like i said this will no longer be a problem, since my family got a new home computer(which i will sneak audio editing software into)and i got a new one for my studio. I am still curious though. Dragon, I dump the song into the computer. In order to burn it, i must find the file. I don't think that it's a wav yet because it isn't saved. The computer i was working on had enough drive space to record the song, but not save it. If it isn't saved, i can't find the file. I looked in temporary folders and everything. My main thought was that....it plays, it's on the computer now, why can't i just extract it from wherever it happens to be and burn it. That's about all i can do to clarify.

After recording the signal using cool edit, just save it to your hard disk. This is still a fairly large file, if it's one continues stereo wav for 25 minutes. If you can get this into your machine and play it from there, than you must already have the hard disk space to store it. 25 mins would be a couple 100MB's + (assuming this is a stereo 2 track file?) This would be no problem to save onto a CD-R, either in *.CDA format or of course, *.CDA.

I have not used cool edit, but I assume that when you record in it, you select the Sampling rate and file format at that time. It should be saved as a *.wav.

Not sure if this clarified anything...

Emeric

Yeah....that's the ticket. Although i don't have to bother with that anymore, i really needed to know. That about does it!! Thanks!!

Back