To Build or not to Build, That is the Poll

What should I do?

• Build it and the soundcard will come. Use on-board audio 4 now

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Build it with your old soundcard. You need the digital outs, man.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Don't build it. Wait for the new soundcard, dumbass.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Build it partially - just to make sure everything (so far) works. You can finish later.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • You are a pussy! Just do whatever you want.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Buy more components. You are not even close to being done, you gear slut.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Brad

I am in the process of upgrading my DAW. This whole thing started as "Hey, I think I need more RAM..." and now I am building a whole new machine! I love this disease!!

I will need to rob my old DAW of a few things as I build the new one. This, of course, will render my current(old) machine useless and leave me hoping that the new one will work fine out of the box.

Here is my dilemma: I have all parts except for the soundcard (Delta TDIF) because it is back ordered. It will ship in about two weeks. I want to get this thing up and running to make sure I don't have anything defective. If I build now, I can do everything except install the soundcard (the MB - Asus A7S333 - has onboard audio) and at least know that things are working. For all intents and purposes, I can just do any monitoring through the built-in audio support. Besides, when the new soundcard comes, I can just install it and move some jumpers around and I am in business. I don't think (crossing my fingers) that I will have to fly anything out of my comp digitally in the next few weeks. Even if I did, I suppose I could do the next scenario if an emergency arises...

OR I can yank the soundcard out of my current set-up (M-Audio DiO 24/48) and have the digital outs that I might (still crossing fingers) need in the next 2-3 weeks. The only problem with this is: I haven't really cared all that much about the compatibility of that card with my new system, so it's a crap shoot. And I would have to do a soundcard swap in a couple of weeks again anyway - pain in the ass.

Or I can just wait.

But that is hard. All of these components look so freakin' sexy. They are calling my name. "Build me... build me Brad!"

Now, I know most of you guys are gurus and are probably thinking this is a no-brainer - but I don't - see, I think changing a soundcard is a big deal. I think opening up the case is a big deal. I am a pussy when it comes to computers.

So, please enlighten me. There is something I am not thinking of, I am sure.

Every vote counts.

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited:
Build, you fool! In fact, it would probably be better to get it up and running and put it through some paces before installing your soundcard rather than having the card in there on the first bootup. When I rebuilt my system, I followed the guideline of installing the cards one at a time and booting up after each one. Graphics first, then sound, then network. Of course, a little variation probably wouldn't hurt.

So put it together now (it's fun, believe me). Boot 'er up and mess with it for a while. If you just gotta have them digital outs before your TDIF card gets to you, open it up and put in the DiO. It couldn't hurt much.

I have my own new DAW running for a week now and I've not even decided on the audio-card. I'm using on-board audio for now, have a lot of software (plugins and such) to install and optimize the whole WinXP installation. That will take some time so....

Also (to spread the investment a bit) I've currently only one HD installed for the OS and software (60 Gb, 7200 rpm). I'm going to load the system with two additional 80 Gb drives later this year. I've installed one bank of 512 Mb RAM for starters, going to add up to 2 Gb next month.

Peter.

Brad said:
All of these components look so freakin' sexy. They are calling my name. "Build me... build me Brad!"

That could actually be the voice of God speaking through your heat sink. Better listen and "Build Brad, build!"

It is not that hard by the way, and lots of fun.

I built this mamajama last Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I have been busy and haven't had much time to play with it - but I have had a little time to play - man, this thing rocks! I am just awaiting the arrival of the soundcard now.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Brad

I am a pussy, I learned everthing I know about being pussified from whoopysnorp.

But at least I have better looking legs than you (I've seen pictures).

No meeting yet - probably going to happen sometime this month. I tried to schedule it shortly after I posted that thread, but I guess TV execs take the whole month of June off to go get drunk in Aspen or the Bahamas or something. What a life.

That is kind of a blessing in disguise - gives me a chance to tighten up my reel with the new puter.

Brad

Yeah I'm looking at the same thing. My 700MHz PIII is plenty fast enough to do what I do but I can't get my wife off it (the computer :D ) at night. I was looking at the Intel D850MD with a PIII 1.7GHz CPU. This is what Carillon uses in their DAW's. The only thing is that RDRAM is so damn expensive. I think it also has RAMBUS which I believe some people have complained about. Also, if you don't fill up all 4 RAM slots you have to plug in something called a continuity card into the empty slots or it won't boot up. What kinda shit is that? Because of that I'm looking at the Abit BD711. It uses DDR RAM. Plus it has 5 (I think) PCI slots instead of just 3. I'm using an Abit BE7 Rev II now and love it.

Anyhow, best of luck to ya. I'll post what I end up doing.

Oh yeah, there's a guy selling really nice black rack mount computer cases on eBay for $66 + $32 shipping. I just ordered one yesterday. He's got about 95 of these left. They're new, in the box.

DD

Send me all those new parts and continue using your old DAW..YOU PUSSY!!!

(Waves hand) These aren't the droi...er, parts you're looking for. Send them to me and move along...

Check out mine...on wheels...

rcedit.JPG

Last edited:
Cool setup, Monty. It must be nice to be able to mix while on the crapper. Is that a Radio Shack mixer strapped to the side?

Ya, for monitoring. It's not there now, it's detachable. The setup does come in handy if I want to use it in my room, in my bed, in the living room, in the dining room, etc. Haven't had it in the bathroom yet.

DigitalDon said:
Yeah I'm looking at the same thing. My 700MHz PIII is plenty fast enough to do what I do but I can't get my wife off it (the computer :D ) at night. I was looking at the Intel D850MD with a PIII 1.7GHz CPU. This is what Carillon uses in their DAW's. The only thing is that RDRAM is so damn expensive. I think it also has RAMBUS which I believe some people have complained about. Also, if you don't fill up all 4 RAM slots you have to plug in something called a continuity card into the empty slots or it won't boot up. What kinda shit is that? Because of that I'm looking at the Abit BD711. It uses DDR RAM. Plus it has 5 (I think) PCI slots instead of just 3. I'm using an Abit BE7 Rev II now and love it.

Anyhow, best of luck to ya. I'll post what I end up doing.

Oh yeah, there's a guy selling really nice black rack mount computer cases on eBay for $66 + $32 shipping. I just ordered one yesterday. He's got about 95 of these left. They're new, in the box.

DD

Screw RDRAM. It's marginally faster, but I've read in many industry mags it's going to die a slow painful death because the cost:performance ratio just doesn't stack up against DDR.

Get the Abit, you won't be sorry with DDR.

Back