Buffer and Latency issues

stinkfish

Hey all. I just got the new Alesis firewire multi mix board. After four re-installs I finally got everything to work as advertised.

My only problem now is Im having latency and buffer size issues. When there is a high amount of latency the sound quality is there but there is a problem with the recorded tracks syncing up right. There is a delay and I have to bump the file forward to compensate.
When the latency is set fast and low the sync problem gets better but Im getting a crackle sound in the signal.

My current set is 1.9 athalon processor with an audigy 2 zs soundcard. Im running 512 ram on an asus motherboard. Wich motherboard exactly I forget Ill have to look. Never had any latency issues before but I was running direct into the soundcard using Cakewalks Gpro3 sw.

I guess my question is , is it better to have more or less buffers in playback, and how big should the buffers be. The best advice Alesis gives is to expeirement until it works. Im thinking if I understood what I was dealing with better I might not have to "experiment" as much.

Also it might help to know that the miced live signals are going through the board into the soundcard and the whole projects stereo mix is going back to the board and out for monitoring. That seems like a lot of traveling for a signal.

Any suggetstions or educational advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back