Budget DAW software recommendations for multi track recording

colorado_hick

I have recently done some recording of live shows using a tascam 16x08 feeding into a 64 bit windows laptop running reaper. The issue that I have is that recording off the channel inserts requires the trim to be really low on the board that it is hard to mix well for the live sound. And even then I am always on the threshold of clipping.

As far as I can tell Reaper does not have an option to turn down the input volume. I know that audacity does but it does not play well with the tascam 16x08, at least out of the box. I am looking for a recommendation for a simple, stable, and inexpensive DAW software that will give me that input pad functionality? Or is there something I can change in windows? There is an input setting for audio devices via the control panel but it seems like Reaper bypasses that.

I am considering...
1) recompiling Audacity with AISO support (ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki) so I can get 24 bit and more then 2 channels simultaneous input
2) Presonus 1 studio edition
3) some sort of external pad device that my insert cables run through (Naiant Studio - MPD inline attenuator)
4) Other sub $100 DAW software, recommendations?

I do not need a lot of complex mixing functionality, other then basic overdubbing. I usually ship my 24 bit wav files off to a real engineer for mix down.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I'm not aware of any DAW having input gain controls - this is handled with your interface. Why would you not control the incoming volume with the gain knobs on the Tascam?

The tascam 16x08 XLR inputs with adjustments, and then another 8 TRS with no adjustments that I run from channel inserts on my board. The issue is when I trim the channels so that they do not clip then there is not enough signal to mix well, I have to crank all of my channel faders and the mains and I get significant gain noise and no headroom. The PFL meter show the channels barely tickling the second green light, any hotter it clips :(

I'm not aware of any DAW having input gain controls - this is handled with your interface. Why would you not control the incoming volume with the gain knobs on the Tascam?

Cubase full versions past version 6 (I believe) have input gain faders/channels. Definitely Cubase 7 and 8 have this.

His needs are exactly why someone would need this. He does not want to compromise the live mix while recording with appropriate levels.

Unfortunately a Cubase full version is well above the OP's budget.

Does the Tascam have switches on the back for -10 or +4 input level for the line inputs? I believe it does. Maybe that is your issue...

And where in Colorado?

Adjusting the gain in the DAW won't prevent clipping unless it can alter the preamp setting.

What you need is an 8 channel XLR splitter.

Thanks for the feedback.
8 channel XLR splitters cost as much as my audio interface did. If I went that route I would just add a second 8 channel audio interface that has adjustable inputs.

The tascam does have -10/+4 switch but that did not seem to pad it enough.

My patch cables are pretty cheap anyways, I just cut some siesmic TS audio cables in half and stuck TRS on the other end (TR tied together) so I can use the channel inserts on my board as direct outs. Maybe someone out there could make me up an 8 channel TRS/TS snake with built in 20db pad? It still might be cheaper just to get a different audio interface.

I have recently done some recording of live shows using a tascam 16x08 feeding into a 64 bit windows laptop running reaper. The issue that I have is that recording off the channel inserts requires the trim to be really low on the board that it is hard to mix well for the live sound. And even then I am always on the threshold of clipping.

As far as I can tell Reaper does not have an option to turn down the input volume. I know that audacity does but it does not play well with the tascam 16x08, at least out of the box. I am looking for a recommendation for a simple, stable, and inexpensive DAW software that will give me that input pad functionality? Or is there something I can change in windows? There is an input setting for audio devices via the control panel but it seems like Reaper bypasses that.

I am considering...
1) recompiling Audacity with AISO support (ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki) so I can get 24 bit and more then 2 channels simultaneous input
2) Presonus 1 studio edition
3) some sort of external pad device that my insert cables run through (Naiant Studio - MPD inline attenuator)
4) Other sub $100 DAW software, recommendations?

I do not need a lot of complex mixing functionality, other then basic overdubbing. I usually ship my 24 bit wav files off to a real engineer for mix down.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I've been using Studio One 3 Artist. I got mine free with an interface I bought. The retail is $99 I think. It definitely has level control for the input channels - but AFAIK that is a digital level control post converters so won't really help.

You don't need a fancy rackmount splitter with transformers. A bunch of XLR Y-cables would work.

The connection between my board and the interface is TRS (board) and TS (audio interface). If I put a splitter in will it half my signal if the other side of the splitter is not connected to anything?

The connection between my board and the interface is TRS (board) and TS (audio interface). If I put a splitter in will it half my signal if the other side of the splitter is not connected to anything?

Put the splitters between the mics and the XLR inputs of the board. Put the other leg of the splitters into the mic inputs of the interface and use the interface gains to control the record level. This solves the problem caused by putting line level signal from the insert into a mic input.

Back