Is the Boss 900CD a 24 bit recorder

tune2at

The Bla Bla that they use to describe the unit says: AD Conversion: 24 bit delta-sigma Modulation + AF-AD (GUITAR/BASS, MIC), 24 bit delta-sigma Modulation (LINE, SIMUL)
DA Conversion: 24 bit delta-sigma Modulation
Internal Processing: 24 bit (digital mixer section)
What the heck does that mean? Will it give me a 24 bit wav or aff file out of the usb? Very confusing.

As far as I know the BR's do their AD at 24 bit then dither it down to 16 bit for storage. For effects that are used as you record and stored wet, they'll also be done at 24 bit but again, the wet result will be dithered down and recorded at 16 bit on the disk.

For effects added during mixdown and mastering, the 16 bit .VR8 track files are dithered back up to 24 bit (with the last eight bits being empty) and the effects applied at 24 bit. Then the resulting wet tracks are dithered back down to 16 bit for storage on the disk.

So, no, not a true 24 bit machine at all. The native .VR8 track files on the BR's (wet or dry) are 44.1kHz, 16 bit, little endian. Any .wav file USB'd off it will be 16 bit 44.1kHz.

:)

Thank you for the fine explanation of techno-speak. I am looking for a portable recorder (more tracks the better) for recording away from my MacBook Pro with Logic Pro. I need to be able to do 24 bit sharing with a portable. The only one I've seen, so far, Is a Zoom H4n. But I'm sure there must be others that have wav or aff file compatability.

Back