Big studio without preamps, is it just me or is this unusual ?

Soulgolem

Hello...

Just went I thought I had the recording thing figured out, something I couldn't understand happened.

I study in music in college and we have a beginner's recording techniques course this semester, and as a first course, the teacher thought he'd let us visit the school's big studio room.

The setup was big and yet simple at the same time, a lot of rack equipement that I've never seen, so I asked the teacher what mic preamps they were using here and he told me they used the behringer mixer's onboard mic pres... and then applied a software to give it warmth.

Howcome have I never heard from this here ??

Thanks,
Francis.

I know a lot of people that have gone through recording courses...

Sometimes they just do really, REALLY odd things.

That being said, if it's more of the mechanics of recording and they're not really looking for exceptional sound quality, it really doesn't matter much I suppose.

A "big" studio using a Behringer board?? You have got to be kidding me, either about the Berry, or about it being a "big" studio.

Many people use preamps in the mixer, especially if it is a good, quality mixer. Nothing wrong with that.

Your college's studio is probably built on a limited budget. They're also probably more concerned with edumucating the stoodents than about the sonic quality coming out of the monitors. They do have monitors, right?

It makes you wonder what board was specified when they filled out the budget request. They'll never know the difference...

Just to clarify for the original post, there is nothing technically wrong with using onboard mic preamps. This is the norm for big studios with great sounding boards.

The issue that everyone is referring to is the use of the Behringer, which is a budget board. The preamps in the board are not considered very nice and you won't find many serious studios with Behringer boards.

Soulgolem said:
.... I asked the teacher what mic preamps they were using here and he told me they used the behringer mixer's onboard mic pres... and then applied a software to give it warmth.

I would ask for my tuition back.

Pronto.

:D

Back