Big Knob question

The TRS input of the of the JBL's is balanced, but will accept a TS cable which will create an unbalanced connection. I had used a TS to TS cable for a long time with my JBL's and a few months ago switched to TRS to TRS (the source has balanced outs). No noticeable difference in noise (not really any to be heard), but the volume control on each monitor needed to be turned down as the balanced connection delivered more signal.
I keep thinking with what your doing with Zoom and the need to fade/mute the audio occasionally that a small mixer with a real fader would work well. Even an inexpensive headphone amp could probably be used with a TRS to (2x)TS breakout cable to the monitors would allow volume adjustments.

I had thought of pulling my Mackie mixer out for my zoom set up, but now that I am running live open mics again, I don't want to be taking it all apart and put back together every other week, and I really don't want to buy another mixer for this. I sold off the cheap Behr mixer I had bought as a back-up a few years ago, as I had never used it.
For my zoom sound now, I am using 2 condensor mics (one above the other, 18" away from me) for acoustic guitar and vocals, plugged into the 8i6. I had been using a Helicon Play Acoustic, with its 2 outputs to the 8i6. I just prefer the natural acoustic sound better than plugged-in, even with the PA's IRs.
When using the condensors, a slightly better sound gets to zoom if you mute the speakers while playing. Zoom is supposed to mute the output so there is no feedback, when there is loud enough sound hitting the inputs, but I have direct monitoring on. (And yes, all the correct settings in zoom!)

I had thought of pulling my Mackie mixer out for my zoom set up, but now that I am running live open mics again, I don't want to be taking it all apart and put back together every other week, and I really don't want to buy another mixer for this. I sold off the cheap Behr mixer I had bought as a back-up a few years ago, as I had never used it.
For my zoom sound now, I am using 2 condensor mics (one above the other, 18" away from me) for acoustic guitar and vocals, plugged into the 8i6. I had been using a Helicon Play Acoustic, with its 2 outputs to the 8i6. I just prefer the natural acoustic sound better than plugged-in, even with the PA's IRs.
When using the condensors, a slightly better sound gets to zoom if you mute the speakers while playing. Zoom is supposed to mute the output so there is no feedback, when there is loud enough sound hitting the inputs, but I have direct monitoring on. (And yes, all the correct settings in zoom!)

Mike, PLEASE try a pair of TRS cables with the ring circuit disconnected! I really want to know if this fixes the problem. Were you in UK (even You'roop) I would gladly make up and send you a pair.

Dave.

Mike, PLEASE try a pair of TRS cables with the ring circuit disconnected! I really want to know if this fixes the problem. Were you in UK (even You'roop) I would gladly make up and send you a pair.

Dave.

Hi Dave, I don't have extra cables I am willing to butcher that way - my soldering skills suck, I'll never get them back! Do you think this would boost the volume (I assume using them between the BK and monitors?) My only concern when starting this thread was the distortion I was getting, turning the software gain of the 8i6 and the JBL's volume pots down seems to have removed that problem.

Hi Dave, I don't have extra cables I am willing to butcher that way - my soldering skills suck, I'll never get them back! Do you think this would boost the volume (I assume using them between the BK and monitors?) My only concern when starting this thread was the distortion I was getting, turning the software gain of the 8i6 and the JBL's volume pots down seems to have removed that problem.

Oooo! Geography's a bugger ain't it! No, cutting the ring circuit will not fix the level problem because the BKs inputs are still unbalanced* and so you lose the extra 6dB but you should be able to run the 8i6 flat out without causing the distortion. This is how I set the KA6, pot wound to max and I control my Tannoys via the BL's pot.

I REALLY must get my A into gear and get the 8i6 connected! I have not re installed the BK since I took it apart and tested it so I could do that very easily. I am just putting off going 3 falls and a submission with the routing software!

*In my head, I had assumed a stereo, balanced, passive controller would use a four gang pot and preserve the balance of whatever was driving it. Bit pissed off that the Mackie does not do that but I suppose, at the price, silly to expect that!

Dave.

Ok, I rigged my 8i6 to the BKp and sent that to my Tannoy 5As. Put the 8i6 output to max.

Copied a new CD of Pavarotti (prezzie for wife in hosp) to Samplitude and played back. The peak level wa -0.2dB fs ! I was listening about a mtr from each speaker and getting ~90dBC on my cheapo SPL meter, louder than I normally listen. I 'thought' I detected a slight 'hardness' on the very loudest voice parts but then operatic voices do demand really good speakers..The Tannoys ain't bad, but?

I then swanned into the living room and played the CD through my hi fi system. A desktop PC feeding an Arcam 6 50Wpch amp an two Fidek speakers I have had for at least ten years. The systems are really not comparable. L room is twice the volume and heavily furnished. The speakers are not ideally sited and bit 'tubby' but, Lucky's voice and Maria's sounded just about the same as the Tannoys.

BTW Mike, your soldering skill cannot be any worse than mine now! One eyed I have no short range depth perception and keep missing things and burning others. Took me a good hour last week to make just TWO TRS cables!

Dave.

Hey Mike, Is the 8i6 you have a 3rd Gen with the two headphone jacks out? If it is, wondering if it would be worth a try to use the second headphone out as a feed to the monitors with a TRS to TS breakout cable. I'm thinking the headphone circuit would have enough push to get good volume(?) This would take the BK out of the picture and the volume for monitors would be the #2 headphone control. Not sure how the routing is in the Focusrite software if this is doable.

Hey Mike, Is the 8i6 you have a 3rd Gen with the two headphone jacks out? If it is, wondering if it would be worth a try to use the second headphone out as a feed to the monitors with a TRS to TS breakout cable. I'm thinking the headphone circuit would have enough push to get good volume(?) This would take the BK out of the picture and the volume for monitors would be the #2 headphone control. Not sure how the routing is in the Focusrite software if this is doable.

Yes, 3rd gen. The advantage of the Bk was being able to put it right at the end of my desk (small footprint), with the mute button and big volume control, very easy to use when zooming. I could move the whole 8i6 to the edge of the desk, of course.
I have the 8i6 output now at about 4 o'clock, and have plenty of volume, no distortion using the BK, but the volume is lower. It might have been a double factor of the 8i6 software output at maximum and the JBL volume pots at maximum.

Back