Best recording software on a budget?

Sabotage Mac 37

I have Acid Pro and I honestly get pretty good mixes in it. How much of a difference would something like Cubase or Protools really make?

If you get good mixes on it, then keep it. What matters is knowing your software and how to best utilize all that the software provides.

How much of a difference would something like Cubase or Protools really make?

To what?
The biggest differences you're going to see between DAWs is features offered and workflow.
Some daws have some features, other daws have others, and workflow is a personal thing - Some will feel right to you and others wont.
I'm very comfortable in ProTools and can do pretty much everything I want without wasting time looking for things or figuring things out.
Jimmy's that way with Cubase and Gecko with Reaper.

If Acid has what you need and you like how it works, then that's the DAW for you.

I use Reaper. You can try it for free, with a nag-screen on startup. It's only 60 bucks with several new versions included in the price.
I started out with Logic, tried Cubase and Nuendo.

What I've found is that the more fiddling in the DAW you have to do, the more it kills creativity, at least for me. Trying different DAW's doesn't change that. I prefer hardware and mainly use the computer as a recording device.

I use Reaper. You can try it for free, with a nag-screen on startup. It's only 60 bucks with several new versions included in the price.
I started out with Logic, tried Cubase and Nuendo.

What I've found is that the more fiddling in the DAW you have to do, the more it kills creativity, at least for me. Trying different DAW's doesn't change that. I prefer hardware and mainly use the computer as a recording device.

That’s one reason I use Reason (lol).

It’s set up like a virtual hardware studio. You have an SSL console, a virtual rack that you can turn around and see all the wires connected to it. It’s great!

Back