Best audio interface for recording vocal + acoustic guitar simultaneously

cashcohen

Jewnior Member
Hey all. I'm a singer/songwriter new to home recording. I've been doing some research, and I'm ready to buy a few mics and an audio interface. I'll leave the mics to a separate post. I'm here to ask about the audio interface.

I will be using this interface primarily to record one vocalist and one acoustic guitar. That's it. I plan one using one mic on the vocal and two on the guitar, so I need something with at least 3 inputs.

I'm considering an M-Audio interface, since they seem to work best with Pro Tools, but I'm a little confused. Most of their introductory models have 2 XLR inputs. I don't know anything about preamps, but I've gathered that these inputs are routed through built-in preamps. I want to record from 3 mics at once (1 for vocal, 2 for guitar). If an interface has only 2 XLR in, do I need to buy a separate preamp for the third mic? What should I get, and how do I connect this to my interface?

Obviously, I'd consider an interface from a company other than M-Audio. However, I want something that works seamlessly with Pro Tools (which I plan to purchase).

BTW, I use a Dell Studio 17 laptop running Windows 7, with an Intel Core i7 @ 1.6Ghz and 4GB RAM. As a matter of fact, it's only two weeks old.

For an audio interface, my budget is ~$400. But I'm flexible, since I want this to last awhile.

I'm totally new to this, and I know nothing but what I've been told and what I've read (which is limited). Anything helps! Thanks.

Thanks! The Fast Track Ultra looks to be exactly what I need. And at a pretty nice price...the reviews online look excellent too.

I have a question about the Fast Track Ultra.

I use Windows 7 64-bit. An unsettlingly large number of consumers with Windows Vista and Windows 7 report online (in Amazon reviews, M-Audio boards, and elsewhere) that they have experienced driver issues that render the Fast Track unusable or a complete pain-in-the-ass. An equally large number of people say they've had no problems...the thing works like a charm.

Is Windows 7 compatibility something I should be worried about? Or is the fuss simply due to incompetent users?

Thanks, guys! I am loving this board. :cool:

I would start a new thread on this, but I feel it's more appropriate to just bump this one.

Can anyone confirm that the Fast Track Ultra is fully compatible with Windows 7 64-bit? M-Audio's official system requirements page for the FTU suggests that only XP and Vista work. But the drivers page suggests otherwise, as there is a Windows 7 64-bit driver available to download.

This may come off as I dumb question, but I don't care. I don't want to buy something I can't use. :D

I would start a new thread on this, but I feel it's more appropriate to just bump this one.

Can anyone confirm that the Fast Track Ultra is fully compatible with Windows 7 64-bit? M-Audio's official system requirements page for the FTU suggests that only XP and Vista work. But the drivers page suggests otherwise, as there is a Windows 7 64-bit driver available to download.

This may come off as I dumb question, but I don't care. I don't want to buy something I can't use. :D

Why don't you phone M-Audio and ask them? Get the person's name and if you buy it and it doesn't work you can track them down and blow their kneecaps off, or at least one. :)

M-Audio is really good at keeping their drivers up-to-date.
If the download page has the drivers then there's your answer.
Having said that, Windows 7 is new so most drivers will be buggy for a while yet.
Get in the habit of updating all of your drivers, once a month.
I used to do that with Vista. Just compare the dates on the driver updates with the ones you've already installed.
If it's changed since the last time, download it.

Why don't you phone M-Audio and ask them? Get the person's name and if you buy it and it doesn't work you can track them down and blow their kneecaps off, or at least one. :)

Tech support...Oh, Lordy. :eek: I suppose that is the only sure-fire way.

M-Audio is really good at keeping their drivers up-to-date.
If the download page has the drivers then there's your answer.

This makes sense. I'll be sure to check for driver updates on a regular basis.

Thanks, guys! My mind is at ease. Topic closed. :)

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of your audio interface search. I'm also searching for an interface in the same price range for my new Dell Studio XPS 16 running Windows 7 - 64. I've been hesitant to go with M-Audio due to the hit or miss results that are being reported.

I've read good things about the RME Babyface USB audio interface. It's pricey but if it means avoiding the headaches then it might be worth it.

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of your audio interface search. I'm also searching for an interface in the same price range for my new Dell Studio XPS 16 running Windows 7 - 64. I've been hesitant to go with M-Audio due to the hit or miss results that are being reported.

I've read good things about the RME Babyface USB audio interface. It's pricey but if it means avoiding the headaches then it might be worth it.

I've purchased the Fast Track Ultra. It should be here in a week....I'll post the results. I anticipate good things.

Eborej, the Fast Track Ultra works wonderfully with Reaper on Windows 7 64-bit, as long as you use the newest drivers from M-Audio's website and chuck that included CD in the bin.

I haven't tested it with Pro Tools, but I'm liking Reaper so much that I may not buy PT anytime soon.

Yeah!
Chuck the rest of the CD's in the bin too.
They're all light versions (too light) or demos.
Nice Frisbees though.

If I hadn't started out with Mixcraft, I'd probably be running with Reaper.
Seems pretty intuitive to me.

Last edited:
Back