Behringer um2 and drum mapping help? Or is it something else

Stickywhistle76

I have a Behringer um2 interface that I want to use to record some guitar tracks to midi drums. I have a Alesia dm6 Drum set that I have recorded with reaper through usb input on my laptop. My problem is I can’t hear the drums playback through the interface So I can record the guitar.
If I plug headphones into the drum module I can hear them Playback but Not the guitar. What am I doing wrong? I have been trying to figure this out for so time and getting frustrated. Does it have something to do with mapping the drums or is the interface not capable of the playback (Monitoring) of midi? Anything that gets me closer to a fix will be Much appreciated.

Some thoughts . . .

What have you actually recorded in Reaper from the DM6? Is it audio or midi?

If it is midi, you won't hear anything on playback unless you have a virtual instrument load onto that midi track (more on this later). The midi is just a set of instructions saying which note to play, when and for how long.

If it is audio, then you may need to look at the UM2 to make sure that direct monitoring is on. The latter will allow you to hear your guitar while recorded audio of drums is playing.

So you can try some things.

1 Record DM6 midi into Reaper via USB cable.
2 Connect audio output of DM6 into line in of UM2. YOu will have to go mono because UM2 only has one line in.
3 Select DM6 as a midi output device, then set this as the output and playback the recorded midi. This will send the midi back to the DM6, and you will hear the drums coming back via the UM2
4 Record the audio of this in Reaper.
5 Unplug DM6 output from UM2 and plug guitar in.
6 Play this pack and monitor via UM2 and with direct monitor button pressed

My 2 p'oth...IF you have to run drums software you will come up against 'latency' the delay heard between hitting a button and hearing the sound. AFAIK the UM2 does not run ASIO drivers* and it is these that are needed for acceptably low latency.

*I understand it is recommended that you run 'ASIO4all' a wrapper that simulates ASIO drivers but it is rarely as good as properly written drivers.

Dave.

OP, I just ran into a similar situation with my neighbor on Slate Drums. Not sure about what you are using, but make sure you load a drum kit in your VSTi.

Back