Behringer Ultragain Pro-8 Digital Converter Materials needed for computer transfer?

gobbltygoop

Does anyone know whether a Behringer Ultragain 8 AD/DA converter can be plugged straight into a laptop computer? My plan is to run my Tascam 388 into the converter into Pro Tools on my computer. I’ve done some internet research and have read the online manual for the converter but am still unable to figure out what supplies I may need to connect the converter to my computer. Any idea? Thanks!

The Behringer ADA8000 and ADA8200 use ADAT digital connection using the TOSLINK optical connector. You'll need something to interface between ADAT and USB.

I suspect it will cost you less to buy a Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 than to get an ADAT to USB converter. In fact, the UMC1820 has ADAT connection, so it's perhaps the cheapest way to connect an ADA8000/ADA8200 to your laptop, though it would make the ADA unnecessary.

The Behringer ADA8000 and ADA8200 use ADAT digital connection using the TOSLINK optical connector. You'll need something to interface between ADAT and USB.

I suspect it will cost you less to buy a Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 than to get an ADAT to USB converter. In fact, the UMC1820 has ADAT connection, so it's perhaps the cheapest way to connect an ADA8000/ADA8200 to your laptop, though it would make the ADA unnecessary.

Hi! Thank you for getting back to me. I actually had no idea the U-Phoria existed. So to convert my analog recordings to digital on my computer, I don’t even need an AD/DA but a digital interface with a USB converter? If so I’ve been looking for the wrong thing this whole time. I’m looking at other interfaces similar to the UMC1820, but am not certain they are capable of doing the same thing as the UMC1820, any advice on what to be looking for? Also, do you have any suggestions for cheaper options that may exist? If there are none I will totally go with the UMC1820 but I’d be interested to see if there were different priced versions, I was planning on only spending $100 or so.

Thanks for filling me in, I was totally only looking at AD/DA stuff!

The ADA8000 and ADA8200 are 8-channel mic preamps and AD/DA converters, but they don't have any way to interface with a computer. The UMC1820 is pretty much the same thing but with a USB interface for a computer and some other features to facilitate recording to a computer.

Basically, you're looking for an audio interface with a sufficient number of inputs. I think USB is going to be your only option for type of connection to the computer. I'm assuming you need eight channels, so the UMC1820 seems to meet your requirements. I don't think there's a cheaper way to do this other than borrow or rent an interface.

The ADA8000 and ADA8200 are 8-channel mic preamps and AD/DA converters, but they don't have any way to interface with a computer. The UMC1820 is pretty much the same thing but with a USB interface for a computer and some other features to facilitate recording to a computer.

Basically, you're looking for an audio interface with a sufficient number of inputs. I think USB is going to be your only option for type of connection to the computer. I'm assuming you need eight channels, so the UMC1820 seems to meet your requirements. I don't think there's a cheaper way to do this other than borrow or rent an interface.

Thank you so much. Like I said, I never even knew this type of interface existed if it wasn't for you. I ordered the UMC1820 and am impatiently waiting for its arrival so I can get started running stuff into Pro Tool.

Back