Beefing up a Pent. III Gateway laptop for some VERY basic audio with Logic Audio???

pisces7378

My guitarist's girlfriend has a Gateway Laptop that is about 4 years old. It only has 64MB of RAM, and it has a Pent III running at an unknown number of mHz.

Side Note:
I right-click on MY COMPUTER, then go to PROPERTIES. Normally it tells you what kind of CPU, the clock speed (g/mHz), and the amount of RAM. This one does not. It just has the 64MB of RAM. I know it is a Pent III just by the little "Intel-Inside" sticker on the laptop itself. How else can I find out the clock speed?

Now, I have bought and installed RAM for a PC before. It was no problem. But it was a PC that I bought myself and knew all about it. With this Gateway LAPTOP, what should I know before I go waste money on getting the wrong RAM or ruining the whole thing by trying to install it wrongly.?

Is Laptop RAM different i.e. smaller than normal PC RAM? Are there any kinds of motherboard issues that I have to consider? This laptop is 4 years old, and my guitarist's girlfriend has NO clue about computers so she is no help as far as what kind of bus system it has etc. And I am not computer-savy enough to know how to find out. Gateway's tech support is a JOKE.

ANY tipps would be considered life savers. Thanks for your help guys!

Mike

P.S. I just want to use this laptop as a vehicle to be able to play my eMagic soft-instruments (EVB3, EVP88, EVD6) live and in rehersals through my MOTU 828mkII into the PA. I do not care about track count or any of that. I just want to use it like a musical instrument.

It will probably take SDRAM SO-DIMM modules. PC-133 will work for either PC-100 or 133 settings. You should read up on the specifics of upgrading the notebook before you buy em though. It might be limited as to how much ram or what size (in MB) modules you can install....

Back