Bare Bones Recording sofware?

chamelious

www.thesunexplodes.com
I want a program that will allow me to record lots of tracks of audio, i dont wanna download cubase or something, and i certainly dont wanna buy it as it has thousends of features that i have no intention of using, i wanna do any work with my sound externally and with gear rather than software based. I guess a click track capability would be nice but besides that, bare bones. Any suggestions?

I use PowerTrack Pro Audio...It can do 48 tracks, $50 on their website at pgmusic.com. I also hear good things about n-tracks (and it has its own forum on this board).

chamelious said:
and i certainly dont wanna buy it as it has thousends of features that i have no intention of using, i wanna do any work with my sound externally and with gear rather than software based. I guess a click track capability would be nice but besides that, bare bones. Any suggestions?

Maybe you need to start using those features?

chamelious i use powertracks as well. just try the demo.
if you have a good sound card with good convertors you will get pro audio quality. you can record 48 tracks of audio. then if you need more (i never do) just mix down to stereo - bring the file back in and add 46 more tracks !
but if you want to record high track counts just make sure you have a powerfull computer. this is true of any software program.
the other advantage of powertracks is it has a slew of fx built in thus saving you buying plug ins. but it also supports external plug ins as well.
lots of free ones on the net.
hth.

Powertracks doesn't look too bad, i have a reasonably nice P4 machine, with plans to add a delta 44, and a soundcraft M8 mixer. Is Powertracks is capable of recording 4 channels at once?

chamelius - yes many powertracks users use delta sound cards.
just try the demo. a very knowledgeable person using delta is always on the powertracks forum at pgmusic.com called rharv.
i think if you want a second opinion other than mine he will rave about powertracks. just ask him and his delta sound card.

n track is also very very good that tim suggested. but for me personally i like the extensive midi features in powertracks which ive found unmatched for the price. including midi editing, the inclusion of song styles so you can quickly demo a song idea, and many other features like the deep midi editing and notation. just try the demo. also get deep into the audio effects with some interesting presets for bass and guitar players.

Kristal

Free, does 16 tracks, runs VST plugins (you can also get a bunch of those free), and it sounds great. Using Kristal and the Kjaerhus set of free plugins, one of my friends has been producing surprisingly good stuff.

Back