Babyface/6010a do I need a preamp? (Noob question)

Ellegaard

Hi everyone,

It's been quite a few years since I've been messing around with home studio gear, but I want to get going again with a very mobile setup. For that purpose I have my laptop, of course, plus an RME Babyface and a couple of compact Genelec 6010a-speakers. I can carry this setup on my bike, and I can work at home without taking up too many square meters.

I have this slightly stupid question: I just exactly got the XLR-to-RCA cables needed to connect the Genelecs to the Babyface. I ran a quick test of the sound over YouTube (haven't installed any tracking software yet), but the sound that comes out of the Genelecs is reasonably quieter than the volume my iPhone is capable of producing. When cranking up the sound to the max in the RME mixer, I get this hideous digital distortion.

I thought the point of having active speakers like the Genelecs was that I didn't need an amplifier, and I had hoped to be able to adjust the level on the big knob on the Babyface. But have I missed something? Do I really need a pre-amp in order to fire those Genelecs up, or are the software settings maybe wrong in the RME mixer?

Cheers,

Christian

I have this slightly stupid question: I just exactly got the XLR-to-RCA cables needed to connect the Genelecs to the Babyface.

Hi and welcome! :)

The interface and monitors should both have balanced connections.
RCA would be unbalanced, so take a look for XLR or 1/4" TRS connections and use those instead.

That should give better protection against noise/interference, and should also be a bit louder.

Your monitors should also have some sort of input sensitivity control. What model are the monitors?

Hi and welcome! :)
Thank you!

The interface and monitors should both have balanced connections.
RCA would be unbalanced, so take a look for XLR or 1/4" TRS connections and use those instead.

That should give better protection against noise/interference, and should also be a bit louder.

Your monitors should also have some sort of input sensitivity control. What model are the monitors?
Genelec 6010a. Their only inputs are RCA-inputs, unfortunately - they're very tiny, and probably more suited as computer speakers. I picked them up second hand at a good price though, and the size makes them perfect for my little setup; I'm not going to be mixing complicated stuff on them anyway.

I'm not looking for "a bit louder" in this case; when playing at the loudest, it sounded a bit like when you've just put down a pair of headphones on the table playing at full power. I strongly doubt the problem is related to the XLR-to-RCA-cables, since I don't really have any other connection options...

Sorry, I didn't see you had put the model number in the title.

Have you set the level control on the back of the monitors?

If your XLR to RCA cables are combining XLR +and- then that'll cause problems.
You'd want a set which run + to rca pin, and ground the -.
If you have a multimeter you could test to find out what your cables are doing.

An alternative simple test would be to get and try 1/4" TS(not TRS) to RCA cables.

Have you set the level control on the back of the monitors?
There's actually no level control, only some little switches you can flip over with a screwdriver depending on the monitor positions.

If your XLR to RCA cables are combining XLR +and- then that'll cause problems.
You'd want a set which run + to rca pin, and ground the -.
If you have a multimeter you could test to find out what your cables are doing.
Uh - that sounds very technical. I don't have a multimeter, but should I be looking for some other cables? I just got a cheap set from China; I thought that simply XLR to RCA would be sufficient, since those are the outputs of the Babyface and inputs of the Genelecs.

An alternative simple test would be to get and try 1/4" TS(not TRS) to RCA cables.
Great idea! Thanks a lot! I briefly tested the speakers from an iPad using a minijack-to-RCA, and it worked perfectly. It must be either the cables, as you're suggesting, or some software setting.

There's actually no level control, only some little switches you can flip over with a screwdriver depending on the monitor positions.

Are you certain? Any images I looked up have level control.
Maybe your model is an older version or something?

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 20.18.11.jpg

Uh - that sounds very technical.

Don't worry about it. Simply put XLR-RCA can be internally wired one of two ways.
If you're sure there's no level control, or it's already turned up, I guess your cables are the wrong kind.

1/4" TS to RCA (x 2) as pictured don't have the same confusion or option.

rca.jpg

Back