A-B comparing a digital file

stevem5000

I digitize R2R tapes from musical groups and old LP's...\

Sometimes, in cleaning the sound up...I might apply a little volume, equalization, etc...

I use Audacity...

Is there any way I can have my original file...and my modified file...and be able to compare them
one right after the other...in the same part of the file...to hear the differences I am making and
judge what else I need to do...

Right now I play my orig file...decide what changes I want...make the change and listen to it...
But then I have to load up my original file and listen to it...then load up my modified and listen to it...
And if the particular part I'm interested in is 1'32" into the file...I can't remember exactly what I heard
from either file...

Hope I'm making sense...???

Steve

Last edited:
If you used a DAW like Reaper, etc. You could add the FX and A-B them by a simple click of a button. (Enable/Disable)

What Mr Clean says. I use Reaper; I don't use Audacity. But I'm hoping you can do the same in Audacity.

What I do in Reaper is put a selection of the track in a loop, and play it round and round while alternately enabling and disabling the effect.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I haven't used Audacity in a decade, so I haven't kept up with its capabilities. But in Reaper I can add FX to a track or the master bus and just enable/disable the FX in a single click for A/B comparisons. It's free to try the fully-functional program...

I don't think it is possible to do the above with Audacity. It has very limited functions for things like this.

I still use it for recording the odd radio show or live stream and can't say I've seen any major updates in the GUI that would provide A-B'ing capabilities.

You could export an untouched wav and an edited wav and A-B them with another player but that would take time and patience.

You cannot easily A/B two stereo tracks in Audacity because it will only setup for as many ins and outs as your interface has. (AFAIK) .

However, almost any other DAW software will do this. Reaper I am sure.

I can setup two stereo (not 4 discrete mono) tracks in any Samplitude and than set "solo" and "mute" such that the output will flip between them.

Another option is to use a 4 output AI* and a monitor controller (or make a switch box. Beer into water) which allows of the A/B flip.

*The NI KA6 would be superb and in fact already has 1,2/3,4 flipping for headphone output!

Just a point? When comparing sounds of any kind you must match levels very well. Within 1/2dB, better 1/10th. We almost always prefer louder and on an instant switchover this can be a tiny level change.

Dave.

Thanks guys...
I do have Reaper...but don;t know how to use it yet...
I'll start exploring Reaper and see what I can do...

Many thanks...

Back