Automating ProTools Audio track plugins using M-Audio Axiom 49

samth3mancgp

I just bought an M-Audio Axiom 25 (the first generation one) today and I seem to have the transport controls working properly, as well as control of the volume with some of the faders. I can automate volume with the faders, and I can also use the "Learn" function to automate a virtual instrument in ProTools 9.

I really would like to be able to automate an "audio" plugin, like a reverb, delay, or filter using the faders/knobs on the Axiom, but I have a feeling that this may not be possible. I read in a thread on the DUC that since the Axiom 1st gen is strictly a MIDI controller, it can only provide automation to MIDI tracks, and that the plugins meant for processing audio can only be automated using a control surface. The Axiom pro, and Axiom 2nd generation controllers have that automapping thing and act as control surfaces for PT. So they can automate audio plugins, but the first gen cannot?

I just want to be sure of this. I don't understand why the different types of plugins automate in different ways.. ugh :confused:

Has anybody else messed around with automation using the Axiom 1st gen vs. 2nd gen, or even the Pro?

Back