Audio Playthrough on Multiple Outputs PC

KING DRANZER

How to get Audio Play-through on multiple outputs. I am planning to connect 2 DACs connected to AMP using USB ports and then connect 3.5mm PC Headphone outlet to AMP for Dolby-surround. Is there a way to get Audio Playing on all three outputs at the same time. This will help me switch between three sources with simple help of the button on the AMP.

Here is the setup:

PC(3.5mm Jack) > Dolby Atmos for Headphones > THX-AAA-788

PC(USB-1) > Sennheiser GSX 1200 Pro > THX-AAA-788
PC(USB-2) > THX-AAA-788

I have not come across a PC having the capacity to send its audio to a number of outputs simultaneously. In configuring a PC's audio, you can only slect one audio device.

I have not come across a PC having the capacity to send its audio to a number of outputs simultaneously. In configuring a PC's audio, you can only slect one audio device.

Hmm, I am pretty sure I could setup Samplitude say to run from the internal 2496 card in my PC and then Audacity to run my NI KA6 but I don't know how stable that would be?
I don't really grasp the OP's problem, doe he want to split the same two channels four ways? ESI used to make a USB interface that had 8 outputs on RCA, might be worth a search.

Dave.

Hmm, I am pretty sure I could setup Samplitude say to run from the internal 2496 card in my PC and then Audacity to run my NI KA6 but I don't know how stable that would be?
I don't really grasp the OP's problem, doe he want to split the same two channels four ways? ESI used to make a USB interface that had 8 outputs on RCA, might be worth a search.

Dave.

Well, yes. I can do something like that as well. For example, on my laptop, I can have media player or other applications running on the internal sound, while having Reaper go through the interface.

But I can't get media player to go through internal sounds AND interface. Nor can I get Reaper to do that.

However, like you, I'm not entirely sure what OP seeks to achieve.

Is he trying to make 'surround sound' using 3 different 2-channel AD converters?

I am trying to run Dolby Atmos for Headphones Processed Surround Audio through 3.5mm headphone out. And at the same time run Unprocessed Audio through Two USB ports. I want PC audio going through all three ports at the same time. So that I can simply switch between three sources with one click on AMP. I want to skip the step of selecting the Output Source on PC every time I switch the Source.

I want Audio Playing through all three Output Sources. Unprocessed on two USBs and Processed on 3.5mm Headphone Out.

I want to switch between the three sources with simple Click on THX-AAA-788. I don't want to go through the process of changing the Audio output source on Windows10 every time I switch between them. I want to skip that step.

Is there a way so that Audio Plays through 3.5mm Headphone Out as well as Two USB drives at the same time.

I want Audio Playing through all three Output Sources. Unprocessed on two USBs and Processed on 3.5mm Headphone Out.

I want to switch between the three sources with simple Click on THX-AAA-788. I don't want to go through the process of changing the Audio output source on Windows10 every time I switch between them. I want to skip that step.

Is there a way so that Audio Plays through 3.5mm Headphone Out as well as Two USB drives at the same time.

Don't believe it can be done - Windows only allows one audio output device at a time, so its either the internal soundcard (for the headphone jack), or one of the AD converters.

Last edited:
Don't believe it can be done - Windows only allows one audio output device at a time, so its either the internal soundcard (for the headphone jack), or one of hte AD converters.

I am looking for a solution. Hey are there any Software you guys recommend for it.

Honestly, a hardware solution is the way forward.
It looks like the amp only accepts stereo input anyway so I guess you're not looking for 6 discrete channels for multi-channel surround but actually just looking for a way to have multiple stereo streams combined, or switchable?

Last edited:
Agree with Steen. My 16 in 4 out Tascam can run two different audio devices through two different sets of outputs. I suppose a third with the digital outs, but I have run a virtual amplifier into 3/4 and then run them back into inputs and recorded them in Reason and run out through 1/2 to hear the result. Works very well, actually, but unnecessary now that I can run VSTs inside reason. I understand that's not exactly what you're trying to do. Still, as long as a program (music bee, whatever) can choose available outs, you should be able to run through different outputs on your interface.

Honestly, a hardware solution is the way forward.
It looks like the amp only accepts stereo input anyway so I guess you're not looking for 6 discreet channels for multi-channel surround but actually just looking for a way to have multiple stereo streams combined, or switchable?

Yes. The 3.5mm Headphone output will handle Dolby 7.1(8ch) output. The USB outputs are for Unprocessed Audio Digital Output.

On a Mac, yes you can create aggregate devices, but for output to reach them, you would need to be able to send outputs to each of the associated device output channels, e.g., if you wanted to send a stereo output to 3 devices, you'd actually have to create a 3x2 output stream in an app that was capable of routing each stereo pair to the appropriate device outputs. For instance if I aggregate just 2 devices, and the first has output channels 1-6 so the 2nd might have 7-12, you'd have to set the first stereo pair to go to output channels 1-2, the next to 7-8. Or, at least that's how I'd imagine it done, because TBH, I only ever used an aggregate device on input.

Now, I'm thinking it might be possible with an ADAT device, perhaps even an ADAT "stack" of some type, and you'd similarly have to use routing in the DAW or perhaps in a software app to get to each device, in turn. I have no idea if that would work or not, though.

Hmmm

I am probably missing the whole issue, but with my PC I have an RME 26 channel PCI card and 26 channels of RME and Lucid converters so I can easily stream 26 channels of audio out of my computer from Reaper .

I just use the RME software which has a really nice digital mixer that lets you route any physical input or software channel output to any of the audio DA outputs.
I can even send the same software outs to multiple outputs for like... different speaker set ups.

That may not be what you are asking, so just ignore me if it missed it.

I am probably missing the whole issue, but with my PC I have an RME 26 channel PCI card and 26 channels of RME and Lucid converters so I can easily stream 26 channels of audio out of my computer from Reaper .

I just use the RME software which has a really nice digital mixer that lets you route any physical input or software channel output to any of the audio DA outputs.
I can even send the same software outs to multiple outputs for like... different speaker set ups.

That may not be what you are asking, so just ignore me if it missed it.
In OP's post #1 he said he wanted to connect 2 DACs via USB.

Edit: missed his 2nd post. He's wanting to drive 3 different things, one being dolby headphones and then 2 other output (USB) devices, which presumably are already bought.

Thanks Keith,

I noticed he mentioned USB originally but then others talked about hardware solutions and Windows Limitations as well as sound cards and other things.
I guess I thought maybe he was open to a non-USB solution.

Okay, so this does not fit your in computer specification, but I have a Behringer Ultralink splitter that does pretty much what you're asking. You can run a set of inputs to 8 outs or a set of outputs from 8 ins or any combination. To run headphones, you'd need a headphone amp from stereo in. I only use mine to switch two sets of speakers and subwoofer (You can use any combination, and even turn off each speaker via front panel switches). But you can run several stereo devices from this one box. It also can be used to line match as well (-10 to +4).
There are also things like the Mackie Big Knob that might fit the bill if external is an option...

Okay, so this does not fit your in computer specification, but I have a Behringer Ultralink splitter that does pretty much what you're asking. You can run a set of inputs to 8 outs or a set of outputs from 8 ins or any combination. To run headphones, you'd need a headphone amp from stereo in. I only use mine to switch two sets of speakers and subwoofer (You can use any combination, and even turn off each speaker via front panel switches). But you can run several stereo devices from this one box. It also can be used to line match as well (-10 to +4).
There are also things like the Mackie Big Knob that might fit the bill if external is an option...

I have one of those, stood in a corner gathering dust. Anyone wants it free I will leave it on the doorstep.

Dave.

Back