Audio Interface with Panning or Stereo Inputs

Avesome

Hi all

I'm new to this site but I have a long time issue I just can't find a work around.

I used to have a PC which had an Maudio Interface PCI card which was awesome, I had my POD HD and Mic's connected to my mixer then the line out of the mixer was connected to the interface via RCA and panning was taken care of without a DAW. What I mean is the stereo effects of my POD HD could be recorded live with my Logitech Camera Software for streaming direct.

I no longer have PCI on my PC :( so I have a focusrite 2i2 interface which has the XLR or 1/4 jacks with no panning control.

What I really want is a way to get back playing live using Mics and Guitar plugged into my mixer then the mixer into the audio interface and my Video Capture using the audio mix (stereo) like I used to. The 1/4 jacks are mono signal so unless it's processed into a DAW playing live into video capture like I used to is just mono guitar signal.

Does anyone know of an interface that can handle this these days or is it something that's missing on external interfaces now?

The two inputs of the 2i2 are separate channels of audio. Whether they're summed to mono or treated as a stereo pair is likely a function of whatever software you're using.

Yeh, seems the 1/4 inputs aren't the best for this situation, just going to go back to using my Behringer UCA222, not the best but the RCA inputs are treated as a stereo pair. I miss my old MAudio Audiophile 24/96. It's on my desk staring at me in the face but no longer usable.

For video streaming there really is no other way I can see other than spending way more money than it used to cost for this solution.

Yeh, seems the 1/4 inputs aren't the best for this situation, just going to go back to using my Behringer UCA222, not the best but the RCA inputs are treated as a stereo pair. I miss my old MAudio Audiophile 24/96. It's on my desk staring at me in the face but no longer usable.

For video streaming there really is no other way I can see other than spending way more money than it used to cost for this solution.

I reckon this is your 'LAKKY day' mate! Just yesterday I setup an A&H z10 mixer to feed an AI, a Native Instruments KA6.
The purpose of the exercise was to 'prove' that such a rig does not, necessarily degrade the audio signal (and I think I proved that) but the system will equally do what you need I am sure.

The KA6 AI is really just acting as the 2496 card and accepting line level signals from the mixer. The latter can send two channels and HPF, EQ, pan each one. Were there a compressor in the chan strip, I could apply that.

As it is setup the zed feeds line ins 3 and 4 of the AI but I shall now shift weary A and swap to the front line ins of the KA6 and come back with the numbers.

In the meantime, can you give make and model of mixer please? An attached .pdf manual would be super!

Dave.

I set the first mic channel of the zed to '0' on the ch level, EQ flat but HPF in, pan central. The Mix Out pot was also at '0' I set the mic gain trim to get an average of -20dB fs with a Prodipe dynamic mic which is about 3dB hotter than a '57 (son has snaffled mine!)

The front levels of the KA6 were at 12 o'clock. I then removed the mic and replaced it with a screened 200 Ohm resistor. The noise level came out, as shown at about -97/98dB fs. (rms because the peak level jazzes about too much but is still around -88dB?)

These results I would aver are easily good enough for all but the most demanding work and WAAAY better than you will get with the (otherwise very useful) UCA222.

Note: I was using Samplitude SE8 (has meters down to neg 90) and set for two mono tracks. You can do that in any DAW AFAIK?

If you need more help/info? Shout! N.B. I still have a 2496 in that computer and very good it was too and like yourself, was fed from a mixer. Berry X802 then the A&H. The KA6 just beats it for noise, -102dB fs V -93dB fs and for latency, but the card was still bloody quick!

Dave.

Attachments

• a h to ka sam level.png
    a h to ka sam level.png
    161 KB · Views: 3
Back