Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Audio delay running guitar to PC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Audio delay running guitar to PC

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Running my guitar to my PC as such:

    Digitech RP80 > Behringer Eurorack UB502 > PC line-in

    Other possibly relevant information about my PC:

    Windows 10 Pro
    AMD FX-8350 8 core processor
    Gigabyte 970A-DS3P motherboard
    16GB RAM

    I haven't recorded in a while but I finally upgraded and have a PC that can handle it. I hooked everything up the way I used to and there's about a quarter to half second audio delay. It was actually worse than ~0.5sec initially but then I followed a guide to fix Realtek audio driver lag. It's definitely better but distracting enough that I can't play to it or record over it. To be clear, it's not a PC performance issue. I've monitored my performance before, during and after and it doesn't fluctuate based on whether my guitar is hooked up or not. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    P.S. I use Audacity to record

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,726
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 473 Times in 438 Posts
    Rep Power
    14818761
    Why do you need to listen to the round trip through the computer when you've got the RP80 for your tone and effects? You should be able to configure the UB502 to let you hear the live guitar directly, record it to the computer, and hear the playback, all at the same time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Why do you need to listen to the round trip through the computer when you've got the RP80 for your tone and effects? You should be able to configure the UB502 to let you hear the live guitar directly, record it to the computer, and hear the playback, all at the same time.
    I guess I don't understand the question? I hear the guitar with effects live through the PC but it's delayed. As in I strum and hear the guitar with pedal effects about a quarter to a half second later. So it throws me off as I'm playing and when if I record a track and go to record another track on top the audio doesn't sync so the tracks don't line up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    68
    Posts
    7,747
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 588 Times in 478 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474857
    The delay is called latency, and it is function of the computer's on-board sound. On-board sound is normally designed for general purpose sound, e.g. games, watching videos, skype and so on. Using basic design and cheap parts, they are not designed for duplex audio, i.e. recording and playback simultaneously. This means you get a delay between input and output.

    The way to eliminate this is to avoid the computer's line-in, but to get yourself an audio interface. This is an input and output audio device that is designed specifically for duplex audio, and can reduce latency to a handful of milliseconds.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    9,801
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 654 Times in 618 Posts
    Rep Power
    9266934
    Quote Originally Posted by nbtd245 View Post
    I guess I don't understand the question? I hear the guitar with effects live through the PC but it's delayed. As in I strum and hear the guitar with pedal effects about a quarter to a half second later. So it throws me off as I'm playing and when if I record a track and go to record another track on top the audio doesn't sync so the tracks don't line up.
    The delay is latency and can never be zero. However a good Audio Interface with ASIO drivers can reduce it to levels that will not bother you. The Realtech soundcard in the PC is simply not good enough.

    There is a shedload of different AIs on the market and virtually all of them are very good but IMO if you want low latency get one from Native Instruments.

    N.B. Once you have a good interface you won't need the mixer in the audio chain but keep it, could come in handy.

    Ah! Great minds Gecks, great minds!

    Dave.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,726
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 473 Times in 438 Posts
    Rep Power
    14818761
    My response was going to be the same as the two above, but I first wanted to sort out the issue of using the RP80 and internal effects. I'm not saying it's wrong to do both, I'm just trying to sort out why the OP using computer based effects on the guitar if he's got the RP80. That was going to be my opening to introduce the idea of using a proper recording interface designed specifically to address problems like what the OP describes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    My response was going to be the same as the two above, but I first wanted to sort out the issue of using the RP80 and internal effects. I'm not saying it's wrong to do both, I'm just trying to sort out why the OP using computer based effects on the guitar if he's got the RP80. That was going to be my opening to introduce the idea of using a proper recording interface designed specifically to address problems like what the OP describes.
    I'm not using any internal effects. Just guitar pedal to mixer to PC.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Sounds like I will be looking into an audio interface. 10 years ago when I used the same setup I never had issues with latency so that's a newer thing for me. Thanks everybody.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    68
    Posts
    7,747
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 588 Times in 478 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    My response was going to be the same as the two above, but I first wanted to sort out the issue of using the RP80 and internal effects. I'm not saying it's wrong to do both, I'm just trying to sort out why the OP using computer based effects on the guitar if he's got the RP80. That was going to be my opening to introduce the idea of using a proper recording interface designed specifically to address problems like what the OP describes.
    Yep. I noticed that. However, I also noticed his problem when trying to record along with a pre-recorded track, and I figure that that will be a problem anyway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    68
    Posts
    7,747
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 588 Times in 478 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Quote Originally Posted by nbtd245 View Post
    10 years ago when I used the same setup I never had issues with latency so that's a newer thing for me.
    As a matter of curiosity, was that with the same system? And what has happened in the intervening ten years?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. looking for a super basic audio recording program! audio delay problem :/
    By littlebluebird in forum Recording Techniques
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2016, 00:38
  2. Audio track delay when exporting audio mixdown
    By room512 in forum Steinberg / Cubase User Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 02:25
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 16:13
  4. Running FOH..delay from backline to mains.
    By timboZ in forum Live Sound & Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 13:42
  5. VS-880: Stereo delay guitar + another guitar = unwanted noise
    By aaron aardvark in forum Roland, Boss, VS Series Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 05:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •