Audacity only records in one channel.

grh

I have a cassette deck i run into my computer, using a behringer u control interface. I have converted many tapes to digital. I use audacity software, and out of the blue audacity only records in mono, and always on the right side. I tried three different cassette decks, and same result.

It shows stereo track with only one side.

I would suspect a fault in the interface. You might try reseating the connectors.

I suppose it could be a software issue, like the input settings in Audacity. But if that fails to solve it then the interface is the most likely culprit.

You swapped the LR cable input to the Berhi and confirmed the channel that shows up is still the right side?

What connectors, and what input settings in audacity should I look into? Also should I look at any settings in windows?

No, i changed the settings in audacity to record youtube, and don't believe, i was going through behringer.
It seems like you have a problem then somewhere between the USB port of your computer and the tape deck. Or, maybe there's some configuration of the interface inputs to Audacity L&R channels that has been messed up, e.g., via a Windows update.

So, first, check your audio configuration in the Control Panel and/or Audacity to make sure that when the interface is the input device, it has 2 channels input, and in Audacity, those two channels are assigned correctly to the L&R of the stereo track or two separate mono tracks if you record that way.

With that out of the way, and assuming it doesn't change anything, since you've tried different tape decks, it is likely either the cable or the interface. If you used the same cable with every deck, that has not been ruled out. If you used different cables, then it has less likelihood of being the problem. But, if it's the same cable, then simply swapping the L&R channel at one end or the other should switch the channel you see show up in Audacity. If the it's the R channel always being recorded, regardless of whether you connect L or R out from the tape to L & R or R & L, then it's the interface. If it moves, it's the cable, i.e., that means the cable is only sending one channel to the interface. If the channel sent to the computer is always the R, even when you know a good signal is going into the L side, then the interface is not working properly.

It seems like you have a problem then somewhere between the USB port of your computer and the tape deck. Or, maybe there's some configuration of the interface inputs to Audacity L&R channels that has been messed up, e.g., via a Windows update.

So, first, check your audio configuration in the Control Panel and/or Audacity to make sure that when the interface is the input device, it has 2 channels input, and in Audacity, those two channels are assigned correctly to the L&R of the stereo track or two separate mono tracks if you record that way.

With that out of the way, and assuming it doesn't change anything, since you've tried different tape decks, it is likely either the cable or the interface. If you used the same cable with every deck, that has not been ruled out. If you used different cables, then it has less likelihood of being the problem. But, if it's the same cable, then simply swapping the L&R channel at one end or the other should switch the channel you see show up in Audacity. If the it's the R channel always being recorded, regardless of whether you connect L or R out from the tape to L & R or R & L, then it's the interface. If it moves, it's the cable, i.e., that means the cable is only sending one channel to the interface. If the channel sent to the computer is always the R, even when you know a good signal is going into the L side, then the interface is not working properly.

Can you give me a little more specific information, when you say you say check the audio configuration in the windows control panel, and audacity? I checked the cable, so it seems more like you said, to point more towards an interface problem.

Can you give me a little more specific information, when you say you say check the audio configuration in the windows control panel, and audacity? I checked the cable, so it seems more like you said, to point more towards an interface problem.
Unfortunately, the only Windows notebook (probably 12 years old - was our son's a long time ago!) is missing a power cord, so I cannot try to duplicate this right now. (Been on my list to get a replacement cord off eBay for a long time, but there's always something else more useful!)

With the interface plugged in, Audacity Preferences, just check that the Recording section has Channels set to "2 (stereo)" with the UCA device selected.

In Win10, click the Windows icon in the bottom left corner, click the gear icon (Settings), click System, click Sound. But I don't think the problem is there. It's most likely a faulty interface, with an Audacity setting being a less likely possibility.

Back