ASUS P4T-E(Intel 850) vs P4B266(Intel 845)???

Slacker90

Looking at the cost difference between these two Mobo's (as well as cost of DDR vs RDRAM) at pricewatch.com, my opinion is that it isn't that much of a difference anymore. That being said, I have a couple of questions...

1) It seems like the right choice would be the P4T-E because of the better (faster) performace. Is this correct?

2) From what I've read/heard/observed, RDRAM seems to be going down a path of no return and DDR is becoming the standard. So if question 1 is true and I did
purchase the P4T-E, would I be boxing myself in (for future upgrades) down the line?

Bottom line-
I want to put together a dedicated DAW and am unsure which of these two choices is the better one. My thought is that even if 850 chipset becomes obsolete sooner than the 845 chipset, they both will be obsolete in a couple of years when I would be looking to upgrade again, so I should go with the P4T-E. Am I on the right track or do I have a few screws missing?

Thanks.
Brian

What are you doing with this DAW. What do you want it to do?

Both of those motherboards are fine, provided the rest of your hardware agrees. RDRAM will be around for a bit yet. The 845 is a scaled down 850 chipset, it will become obsolete first. Wait.. in the time it took me too type that, they both are! Both are more than functional, depends on your requirements.

Emeric,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm looking to use this in conjunction with two Hoontech C-Ports (which seem to work best with asus mb's) for upto 16 channels of analog inputs at a time. I doubt track totals would go above 24 per song and I'd like to have some power to add effects, but nothing too crazy.
I plan to use my current computer for everything other than music recording/editing, so this new computer would only have in it (besides the 2 C-Port cards) a networking card and video card. So I don't think I should run into any hardware issues (as find a piece of wood to knock on).
Oh yeah, I'm planning to use a 1.6ghz processor with this.

So do you think there would be any noticable performance difference between the two?
I know bandwidth wise RDRAM as an edge on paper, but in reality would I see it?
Thanks again for your help.
Brian

I'm in the same boat- I've just ordered a new PC with the AsusP4T-E, 512 Rambus, and the P4 1.8 mghz (northwood)

Make sure you get the newer northwood. GREAT Reviews!

I too had this same conflict going on in my head. After reading tons of stuff, I decided to go this way. But, I'll use mine for mostly HD recording.

It will be/is obsloete already. Oh well.......

Gaffer

Back