ASIO Driver question.

NLAlston

I have a Yamaha Motif ES7 workstation which is outfitted with the mLAN16e firewire expansion board. This expansion board affords me the capability of sending all my recorded tracks, from the workstation, into the computer - riding on the required ASIO drivers. All is well with that part of te process. But when I wish to monitor the transferred song via my computer's sound system (as opposed to routing back through my WS) I must, first, switch to the MME drivers. It isn't really a painstaking process, but I wondered if maybe I wouldn't have to do this if I had a different (better?) soundcard (My present soundcard is the SoundBlasterLive). Do you think that a better soundcard would serve to alleviate this?

Actually, you can only use one ASIO driver at a time, so you will still have to switch between the firewire interfaces ASIO and a soundcards ASIO.

In practice, the Motif interface isn't doing you any favours if it only supports ASIO as it's unlikely to be the only device in anyones system. MME and Cakewalks WDM/KS (which requires a proper WDM driver) CAN let you use more than one driver.

You can add an ASIO driver to your existing soundcard using a freeware program called ASIO4ALL if you want to prove it.

Provided the existing drivers are WDM, ASIO4ALL can (supposedly) provide one ASIO driver for more than one "soundcard", getting around the ASIO "one driver" limitation. Apparently this is difficult to set up reliably - haven't tried it myself. If the Motif Firewire isn't WDM, it's no help anyway. If it is WDM, it'll show up in Windows Device Manager Sounds, Video and Game controllers section as such. If it's purely ASIO, it wont.

Thanks all,

Well, I guess that I am stuck with the present manner by which I have been handling this matter, because the mLAN16e expansion board only uses the ASIO driver. As earlier mentioned, the problem is not such a large one at all, for it is just a matter of a few steps to realise playback from my computer's system after my work has been transferred.

But I thank you both for your input.

Back