Artifical Intelligence software for improvisation

My friend uses Spectrasonics Omnisphere. He can literally set things up such that he holds down a single key on the keyboard and it generates a full band 'simulation'. He's a genius! No wait, the software is a genius. Do we award grammy's to software yet? We should, at least if we are to be true to ourselves. "For the category of lazy human making noise, the grammy goes to".

I no longer work on music with said friend, and I would say my ethical standards on such things are very low. I use autotune and plenty of midi drum samples. But the melody and performance of the notes are entirely mine.

My friend uses Spectrasonics Omnisphere. He can literally set things up such that he holds down a single key on the keyboard and it generates a full band 'simulation'. .

I love keyboards with the "automatic house music" mode!

Whoever writes that sort of software probably deserves a grammy tho.

First I hope the OP makes a billion on the app. (and includes me as an heir!) But it seems that an excursion into the mathematics of music as opposed to the nuances of the art might best be left to the coders and hobbyists out there who might learn something from the architecture of the program itself. Cut out an appropriate chunck of your code and offer it up to the arduino / rasberry pi crowd for experimentation.

Second, I can 'see' opportunities for you to offer those with various disabilities a chance to interact with your program in a way that their physical restraints won't allow. My brother creates interactive displays for a large science museum in the midwest where he's always asked to design the output of the "learning game" colorful, easy to comprehend, and rewarding to children. And specifications might require that feedback to be "happy", "scary" or "emotionally satisfying", and never to exclude the blind and hearing impaired.

Lastly, I think only the fiction writers should throw about the term "A.I." as loosely as I hear it in this thread. T'ain't no sucha thang! (Unless we're talking "I ROBOT", "STAR WARS", "EX MACHINA" or "EXTANT")

I'm sure there's a genre out there with dedicated fans for machine music. More power to them, this could be a great tool.

Never know, this could be the new big thing. When people first dug records out and mashed them together to make new songs, that probably seemed strange back in the day too. Now it's an art form.

Another ancient thread.

Sorry Solam, but I doubt that the fellow in the post will respond, since he hasn't been on the forum for 5 years.

Back