Another noob searching his first audio interface for mac...

halbares

Hi guys, i've been reading this forum in searching of help several times before... now i'm on a move and i just don't want to lose it.

The thing is that i'm buying an audio interface trough one friend who lives in USA (she'll send it to me by mail)... long history and i love my country (Argentina) but the thing is that here it's really expensive to buy this kind of things, so, not to bother too much my friend, i have to buy only 1 thing

I'm searching for an audio interface with (at least) 4 mic or normal inputs so i can record some drums for demos, via USB or FireWire. And... it has to work with Mac (i have a MacBook Pro, osx 10.7.5). That's what i saw:

1) i saw the AKAI EIE... it's SEXY, but it only works in 16 bit audio... it's for $136 now in amazon and guitarcenter

2) Then the Tascam US-600, it seemed to be the best option for $122 (amazon) but as i've read, it won't work in my laptop and it's a big risk (although that price is awesome for 6 ins in 24 bits, phantom, blabla).

3) Lexicon Omega... but i've read it has some issues around (kind of tascam things)

4) Komplete audio 6... was for $150 used in guitar center... but i don't know if i'll be able to use all the software it has because it's already used. But i saw nothing but good reviews from this (although i though it was only because of the software)

It will be kind of a kamikaze thing because i wont have money for a long time so i should do a good move.

As 99% of the world, i want to spend as less money as posible buying the best thing as posible

Bt, that said, i'm also thinking if, for the same amount of money (more or less than 200) there's a 2 channel interface but with superior quality out-of-discussion, it would be kind of idiot not to chose it.
For that reason i saw the ART Dual Tube USB preamp (~$150), the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 ($125 in Amazon), and the Presonux audiobox

So, to make it more clear for you: i'm really lost. :facepalm:

Thank you very much for the answers!!

(that AKAI EIE is really SEXY)

Added: i also saw
Avid Fast Track C400
Alesis iO4 (incredibly cheap but seems like a toy and it can not record 4 tracks at 24 bits, so i'll choose the AKAI EIE instead of it anyway)
Phonic Firefly 302 (reviews are really bad)
Tascam US-1800 (some not possitive reviews, it's $180 in guitarcenter)

Last edited:
I owned the Lexicon I-Onix U22 which I liked very much but the pre's sounded a bit metallic. Good value for a hunk of metal casing though!

I am selling my M-Audio C600. Nice pre's but poor quality construction, very very buggy software. Has a lot of features but not worth the troubles I had with it.

I am currently using a Zoom R24 which I love a lot. Lots of options with this one. you can do 44khz/16bit for most, but it's totally capable of doing up to 96khz/24bit as an interface. Portable recorder, control surface that works in Logic via Mackie Controls and an interface. It may be a "do-all" device but so far it does it well!

Back