analogue to computer

To import analog audio, you need something called an analog-to-digital ("A/D") convertor. You need one of these for each audio channel you want to import ("digitize") at one time. You can spend $10 for a SoundBlaster-compatible audio card (which has two channels of A/D), or $1000 or more for a standalone A/D convertor. Your needs probably fall somewhere between these extremes. In general, you get what you pay for.

Once the audio has been digitized, you need software to mix it down to stereo (which I assume is your target format). There are many options for this, ranging in price from free to expensive. Some examples are:

Free: Audacity
Cheap: N-Track
Expensive: Logic
Best: Sonar 2.2 :) (Thanks, Moskus!)

What we need now is a bit more detail about what you want to accomplish, and what your budget is.

Last edited:
Thanks fella's, now this is the set up so far but bear in mind I am starting and growing and yes on a small budget at moment - 1 yamaha mt8x multitrack tape, compressor and drum something a rather to come I suppose, 1 xp [yeah I know] run computer with pentium 4 and 1600 processor, standard sound card

have been mucking around with n-track but must hang around computer for recording, not ideal for me. I am going to use my little 8 track and somehow get it into computer for mixingdown and burning etc. of coarse I want a decent sound or the best sound available taking into account what I already own.

An improvement in sound card I know I will be advise but exactly what is available I would not know, software for mixingdown I am in the dark also.

thankyou much for replying to my original

By "small budget," do you mean $50 or $500 (or $5000 :D)?

You can accomplish what you want to do with what you already have. Money will buy you (a) better sound quality and (b) greater convenience. If your budget is $50, you probably won't get enough of either to make it worth your while, so it would be better to save up a bit more -- like $150 for a decent sound card.

If you have $5000, you can get yourself a notebook computer and an MBox, and ditch the Yamaha. :p

One more thing: Do you normally record more than two tracks at a time on your mt8x? (live drums, etc.) Or are you more of a "one-man-band"? The answer to this question will have a major impact on equipment recommendations and budget.

Thanks Don,
$150 soundcard would probably be $200 Australian but that eventually would be ok by me, what type I would not have a clue, any recommendation on soundcards in you $150 range would be kindly recieved,

when it comes to recording I do a lot of one man band stuff, also collaborate with 2 fellow band members on projects and once in a blue moon with the band( just a general recording of songs to see if we are nailing it.

More than two tracks at a time - very rarely

should mention I muck around with demo version of n-track on computer, feed guitar through soundcard and put down quick ideas

I use the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. It's a vast improvement over any SB clone I've ever seen. If I didn't need the MIDI functionality, I would have gone with a Delta 44 instead. Of course, with either of these cards, you'll also need mics and preamps.

For transferring tracks from your mt8x, you'd need to do n tracks at a time, where n is the number of channels of A/D you have. Connect the mt8x outs to the soundcard ins, start your multitrack software recording, and start the mt8x playing. When that's finished, move to the next n tracks, and repeat the process until all the tracks are transferred.

If you only have 2 channels of A/D, and 8 tracks of audio coming from the mt8x, that means you'd need 4 passes. And getting those 4 passes to synchronize properly might be impossible. That's where more $$$ buys you more convenience. Spend a bit more than the cost of the AP2496 or Delta 44, and you can have a Delta 1010, which gives you 8 channels of A/D. No sync problems in that case.

For software, consider registering and using N-Track if you've tried it and like it. (If you were using Windows 98 instead of XP, I'd recommend giving ProTools FREE a try.)

Enough of my rambling for now. Have fun shopping, and keep asking questions!

Regards,
Don

OK, according to that website, the AP2496 goes for AUS$449. x-rates.com says that's US$296.653.

Ouch. :eek:

Back