Amplitube good? My first setup.

rockabilly

Ok, so I have decided to get firewire solo. I will use that with my Cool Edit Pro and/or Adobe Audition.

I was looking at Musicians Friend and it said with the purchase of firewire solo, you get Multimedia Amplitube Live . Then I got to thinking, hmm..amp sounds on the comp for recording so that I do not have to mic my Hot Rod Deville in my apt (its too loud)!

So is Amplitude good? Or is there something better. Wondering if it was worth buying my firewire through musicians friend for the free Amplitude. Same price for the firewire everywhere else.

I play a Gretsch 6120 Dynasonic Western. I play Brian Setzer style rockabilly - so I like that fender tube with tape echo type delay and a tad of overdrive in my sound. Will amplitude do that for me well? It would help so much if I didnt have to mic my loud ass amp in the apt.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
yes itll work...ya will just have to play around with it to find a use-able tone.
It wont sound quite as good as micing the amp...but it works quite fine...i do it all the time!

you will get some latencey using amplitube. i don't think it sounds bad tone wise but getting a noise free signal through it has been a problem for me. i do use a strat with single coil pickups so that has alot to do with it. i have to turn my monitor off while using it also to kill the noise between my pickups and it (it's a crt monitor). amplitube does have a noise gate but we all know how shitty it is to have to use a noise gate.

Amplitube LE (now Amplitube Live) is the stripped-down version of Amplitube, leaving you without the dedicated stomp box, FX, and EQ sections.

That being said, I use my copy of Amplitube LE all the time. Even though it's stripped down, you can still get some very usable sounds out of it. I wouldn't really recommend using Amplitube for all of your guitar tracks, or even your main guitar tracks, but I have had success mixing Amplitube tracks with real mic'ed tracks.

It's not quite the real thing but it does give you access to sounds that you might not be able to achieve with the gear you own. If nothing else, it's just nice being able to try out a bunch of different sounds for your guitar parts without having to play the same thing over and over again.

And lastly, it's really useful for other things besides guitar. ;)

Last edited:
something cool said:
Amplitube LE (now Amplitube Live) is the stripped-down version of Amplitube, leaving you without the dedicated stomp box, FX, and EQ sections.

That being said, I use my copy of Amplitube LE all the time. Even though it's stripped down, you can still get some very usable tones out of it. I wouldn't really recommend using Amplitube for all of your guitar tracks, or even your main guitar tracks, but I have had success mixing Amplitube tracks with real mic'ed tracks.

It's not quite the real thing but it does give you access to tones that you might not be able to achieve with the gear you own. If nothing else, it's just nice being able to try out a bunch of different tones for your guitar parts without having to play the same thing over and over again.

And lastly, it's really useful for other things besides guitar. ;)

I got Amplitube and there is nothing about it that indicates tone.

tim

i did this with amplitube and groove agent...took me a whole 30 minutes to get the idea down so i dont forget it.
Now...ive been playing on my marshall dsl 100 stack for years and i think i got the sound pretty close ...sure it could use some eq'ing..but as it stands...thats just the amplitube..no other effects..no eq..no nothing

Have a listen:

Last edited:
Just a thought but make sure your computer can handle it, for me the latency is like playing with either a delay pedal set on 15 seconds or else it sounds like I'm playing through an Atari 2600.

Back