Am Back after a very long break,Still dreaming of Percussion set up & Recording?

N

norskdrum

:confused:Hello to everyone on the Forum;

It as being quite while since I last participated in the forum
Must admit there have being times , when the last thing I thought I would ever do again (and there`s being quite a few)would be thinking about Music and in particular My old dream of finally putting together a Latin percussion set up,and hopefully taking some Pro-lessons in the USA/CUBA or elsewhere [to be decided]:guitar:

Must be honest had to ask my self a lot of hard questions, as to would it be the right thing given my worsening health to pursue this dream:rolleyes:But I am sort of semi convinced I should give it one last and good shot..It would be superb to achieve even a moderate sucsess in playing latin.

Now since I have being gone have noticed a few changes? and came across the ZOOM Q3 some may recall that I actually did purchase the Hn4 but I sent it back as my health worsened,so never got to use it.I have read a few posts on the forum and a few reviews on the Q3..and on the face of it sounds good? buy what do I know.so thought I would throw the question over to you guys.?

I will briefly run through the background and potential set up and your comments and further suggestions will be most welcome.The room I will be using is 3.5Mtr x 2 x 1.90 Highcurrently concrete bare floor to be wooden floored.roof already pine slats.walls thin wood.(maybe some sound proofing)if can be done simply and effectively) but not really a critical consideration(may not be worth it)there are only very small windows.will need to upgrade lighting.

I am intending buying quality Congas x 2 + Timbales + Assorted hand instruments,foot pedel maybe cymbals
can use a quality drum rug if advised?

But my main question revolves around recording my efforts (key words ) my efforts I am not intending to set up any kind of recording studio...so will try to keep it a s simple but still to a good standard as possible.
Before I received lots of excellent advcie re how best this should be achieved..from the HN4n to recording interfaces to using 4 matched mics OKTAVAS seemed a popular choice...

I still have my old Dell Studio laptop 32 bit so this will be the main interface I think and I could use CUBASE or similar.
but I would like to hear more on seperate interfaces and mics and weather I could get away with just using the Q3 without other mics? I am thinking of using the Q3 when I go for lessons so I can not only hear my efforts but see my technique,when with a pro teacher,small enough to pack up with tripod e.t.c.do not wish to buy loads of gear..but try to strike a balance if I can.

so any help advice very much appreciated..please list the options for me to look at..anbd give me your expert views on the best options to look at

all the very best for now
Regards Steve:D

Last edited:
You've got a lot of options for recording.
What's best for you all depends on what your recording goals are.

If you just want to learn the instrument and learn to play and record yourself practicing than a handheld recorder would be good.
I record bits and pieces into a $20 voicenote recorder that I'll eventually dump into my DAW or whatever.

Now, if you want to record your playing for songs and stuff, than yeah, I think an interface with a DAW into your computer is the best route to go.

:guitar:Good Day from a very warm Norway,
Really do thank you for taking the time tio reply,much obliged.
Your advcie follows closely that of Zzounds,and other folk who said the Zoom Q3 should just be right for the job (intended use) I have no interest in dubbing,mixing,editing in general.but of course I will be putting the Q3 on the PC & TV,but I just felt that when the day comes for me to take Pro lessons it would be great to have the Q3 recording not only the sound but my playing..that was the thought pattern anyway.

I know I can buy an accessory kit with all I require but was just wondering about positioning of the little Q3 it can`t possible cover everything & would not expect it to..as you said and I know I would have to go up to DAW and interfaces seperate mics e.t.c.

But if i am playing say mainly 2 x Conga (centre) Timbales to (right or left)and a few other bits
I have being told the congas need the mics above and ideally the Timbales need the mics below?

I am only buying 1 Q3 so would it be sensible to have the Q3 on a boom stand over the Congas or something similar
(really keen to get this just right)

so any further help,advice appreciated

best wishes Steve

Norway, huh? Nice! Always wanted to visit there myself...
On to business-
I think the Q3 should be able to capture everything fine.

A tripod/boom for it would be a good investment though so you can position it right in the video and sound sweet spot!

Glad I could help.

:DHello my friend,
and many thanks once agin really does help....
my room is only small the guys at GIK said I should go for 6 of there 244 bass traps which they think will make the room that much better for recording directly from the Q3.

Final question if I may (i have hundreds:drunk:) when you say tripod boom stand do you mean a proper mic stand as against the one that comes with the Zoom accssessorie pack..ie small tripod
if so what makes should I look for..sorry to bother you like this

all the best Steve

:DHello my friend,
and many thanks once agin really does help....
my room is only small the guys at GIK said I should go for 6 of there 244 bass traps which they think will make the room that much better for recording directly from the Q3.

Final question if I may (i have hundreds:drunk:) when you say tripod boom stand do you mean a proper mic stand as against the one that comes with the Zoom accssessorie pack..ie small tripod
if so what makes should I look for..sorry to bother you like this

all the best Steve

No problem! I'm here to answer questions.

For your purposes of just video/recording you practicing and playing, I don't know if treatment is a necessary expense right off the start.
Especially if youre in a room with some furniture or pictures or something. But, yeah, bass traps will always improve home recording spaces :D
You can often build your own and save $$$

By tripod I mean something like this Amazon.com: Vista Explorer 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Tripod Bag: Camera & Photo that you can attach your Zoom to. I have one that I use for my Flip camera.

:)Hi kidkage's
Excellent! many thanks for the added information..as it stands with the room it is
2mtrs x 3.5mtrs x 1.90 mtrs High it as concrete floor soon to be wooden covered it has a pine roof and thin wood en walls 2 of which are built up aginst soild rock.
it os very small windows some 6 feet long but only 10" deep on one side.no furnisture just an empty room..I will check out the stands on amazon

regards steve

ive been playing drums/percussion for 30 + years, and recording them for about 6 months,

my advice is start with something like this,

Roland HPD-10 Handsonic Percussion Controller Level 4 886830047954 | Musician's Friend

HandSonic 10 (2: Playing The Basic Patterns) - YouTube

the advantage of it is that it is very easy to play (unlike real congas) and with a wide variety of sounds, lots of fun (congas have limited sounds)

and play along with your favorite music or you tube videos.

Bass Funk Slap Solo - YouTube

i have one of these,

Amazon.com: Tascam DR-05 Portable Digital Recorder: Musical Instruments

it records everything and anything easily.

:)60ndown
Really good to hear from you...
I would never have thought of one of the Roland type electronic drums?
I take your point about maybe starting with one of these...but I did not really wish to spend money on anything but the room and real drums...I suppose I could stretch a point and buy the roland e.t.c.

But my first thought is to remain 100% loyal to the Congas & Timbales:oI am tempted but time really is not on my side if I were a bit younger(make that a lot!) I would be more open to experiement..and some may argue I should look no further than some thing like the Roland? but I am so determined to learn the congas(even at my age and health) at this moment as I write I will see where the journey takes me

but please keep in touch and am always open to advice, suggestions e.t.c.

Very best wishes Steve

Back