Allen and Heath

Nitemare2970

So what do u guys think about the Allen and Heath R16 firewire mixer. I'm kinda leaning that way for my mixer/interface bundled into one. Heard anything bad or good?

I know it does all 16 channels digital out and in. That is the reason for the price tag. I love the fact of mixing at the console analog without having to run 16 trs cables from a box to the console inputs and vice versa. I it also has the sub group routing. Probably some very usable eq at the mixing stage. I would have considered it if I didn't already have RME converters.

thanks guys ill defiantly check out the thread on gearslutz. Also would you recommend going this route or buying a normal Allen and Heath mixer and use an interface to connect it to my DAW??

thanks guys ill defiantly check out the thread on gearslutz. Also would you recommend going this route or buying a normal Allen and Heath mixer and use an interface to connect it to my DAW??

I went the Yamaha N12 route just before Allen & Heath released the R16. Same idea but with only 8 mic pre's. It has 3 reverbs from the Yamaha Rev X unit built in as well as their sweep spot morphing comp (which can be changed via software). The mic pre's are great, the convertors have been compared to the RME stuff (equal to or better than) and the whole thing integrates with Cubase 5 which is my platform of choice. You can mix 5.1 on it too. My workflow has doubled since I bought the N12. If the R16 was out at the time I'd probably have bought it for the extra head amps but 18 months down the line I'm still amazing myself with the quality of material I can produce from this thing.

I love having my mixer and AD/DA convertors and DAW controls all in the same box and hooked to the computer via a single firewire cable. I spent almost 5 years with 3 rackmounted M-Audio Delta 1010's and a bit of a spagetti incident behind my Allen & Heath Saber 24/16/16/2 mixer. This is the cleanest most detailed audio I've ever produced. When I'm not using it in the studio I can throw it in a flight case and do location recording with my laptop at the drop of a hat because I only have one FW cable to unplug.

Back