All you diehard Apple fans rejoice now!

noodles2k5 said:
Listen, Apple doesn't want to be your typical generic PC manufacturer. There's already hundreds of those out there. Just LOOK at a G5, iPod, or Powerbook and compare it to their Gateway, Dell, or HP counterparts. Do you see Porsche dropping their price to $8,000 so everybody can afford one? I don't think so...

"I want to put a ding in the universe." --Steve Jobs

Unfortunately, a ding is all that Steve's ever going to manage if he continues marketing his products as pricey design-yuppie status symbols.

But then it all comes down to why you want a computer (or a car for that matter). To use...or to show off. I'm not going to forego driving just because I can't afford that curvy Porsche.

cheers

Billy S.

I dunno about you, but I think Steve's pretty successful with Apple and Pixar. And a ding in the universe is quite more than majority of the population can accomplish during their life. Do you know the name of the HP CEO off the top of your head? I know I don't... because they just make crappy computers grandmas buy.

You gotta forget about yourself forgoing driving a Porsche, because there are still a lot of people who CAN afford one. Same thing with Mercedes. I don't have one, but I sure see a bunch of them on the roads. It's part of the bigger picture.

As much as I'd hate to see this happen, but maybe Apple should forgo producing computers and focus on the brilliant software that they have. If they could get more developers to make software for OS X, more people would buy it. I find this to be the only limitation of OS X. I'm wondering if this move to Intel is one of the steps to phasing out their computers? The iPod is doing amazingly well, because it can be used on both PCs and Macs. If the iPod was a Mac-only product, do you think it would have done as well? If Apple was seriously interested in making money, they would have dropped their hardware a long time ago. They obviously like the small community that they have. I'm no expert at this, and I'm sure Apple's thought of it already and found some major flaw, which is why they're still doing what they're doing. Heh, thinking about this reminds me of back when Apple let 3rd party hardware manufacturers create mac clones.

You can install Debian on an Apple, run MacOnLinux, and then VirtualPC for Windows. All three OSes at the same time! I wouldn't call the performance a godsend though.

Dragging a CD onto a trash can to eject it... brilliance? Heheh.

The one thing they have going for them is that since they have proprietary hardware, their software ALWAYS works. Just to clarify, it will remain the same after the move to Intel. You still have to buy Apple/Intel hardware... you couldn't just install OS X on a Dell or something.

What more software can you ask for? We've got Office:mac and Filemaker Pro, which pretty much covers every office need imaginable. Adobe CS, Macromedia Studio, etc. has the graphics and web down. Of course, there are some niche programs that aren't cross-compatible... but that's neglectible. I have both platforms, so it doesn't bother me.

noodles2k5 said:
You can install Debian on an Apple, run MacOnLinux, and then VirtualPC for Windows. All three OSes at the same time! I wouldn't call the performance a godsend though.

That's not a triple boot though. In order for Windows to run, Virtual PC needs to create a software version of PC hardware. What I meant was 3 OSes with no emulation software.

There was info that I saw this morning that leads me to believe that you will be able to run at least a dual boot system on the new macs which means native windows will be possible and not just an emulator.

elevate said:
Which kinda goes against the Apple mantra.

Yeah, since Apple's always been proprietary, the ability of their software to work on any pc does seem kind of strange to comprehend.

I always liked that fact that their system was designed to work as a uniform piece of gear - the part I didn't like, was that I couldn't just buy the parts from them and build/assemble it myself.

Perhaps now I will be able to?

I'd love to have a rackmounted Apple PC for a Logic based recording system. :D

Tim

Although you can't buy the parts from them, you can get parts elsewhere and build a rackmount Mac. I've seen it done before. The parts are really expensive though, so you might as well just buy an Xserve.

noodles2k5 said:
Although you can't buy the parts from them, you can get parts elsewhere and build a rackmount Mac. I've seen it done before. The parts are really expensive though, so you might as well just buy an Xserve.

Yeah, I already looked into that. Sadly, it's way out of my price range.

I should probably just buy 6 Mac Mini's and hook them al together. LOL

Tim

elevate said:
Hacked versions of custom chips?

Apparently someone gave me negative feedback for stating that a custom chip is hackable.

A custom chip can easily be hacked around if the only function it performs is security. This can be done by modifying the software to bypass or emulate the security procedures which require the chip. This is similar to a standard security hack or a dongle hack.

Even if the chip is more integrated into the OS - which is unlikely as the whole point is to make the OS compatible with the intel/amd platform - it can still be hacked. Those functions (or instructions) which are performed by the chip can be translated by emulation software and performed instead by the standard CPU. In the extreme, through emulation, a regular PowerPC version of mac OS could run on an intel computer.

A general rule of digital computing is that any task which can be performed by specialized hardware can also be performed by software running on generalized hardware. For instance, a plug-in could be written which exactly duplicates a Kurweil KSP8. It might not be able to run in real time on today's PC CPUs - but that's a different story.

From what I hear, hacked x86 versions of the Mac OS are already circulating.

Back