Advice needed

Les Jones

I am keen to use my PC for making backing tracks to use on stage but I haven't a clue where to start. I have been using a Fostex 4 track which has been about my limit!
My computer is quite old being a pentium 100.
with a 3 gig HD and only 16 meg of RAM.
Can I upgrade my PC?
I would like to be able to record a drum machine, guitars, keyboards and vocals all digitally and then use them on stage via my minidisk.
Could anybody tell me (in very basic terms please)what to buy for my PC to start me off.
Or would I be better using one of the new multitrack digital recorders? These are really out of my financial reachbut I wouldn't want to spend money on the PC only to find I could have spent it on a digital recorder. Thank you

For digital multi-track recording, I'd say you'd have to toss that turd. It's really a toss-up between an upgrade and a new system. My sister upgraded her P100 to a 350PII /8GB HD/ 128MB RAM (that would be fast and large enough for what you want to do, minimally) for about 5 bills, (new MB- same case) but these days you can get a whole new system for close to that much, without the monitor. Plus if you go the new system route you can keep your old system and dedicate the new one to recording only. That'll help alot if you have to cut corners elsewhere. And realistically, $1000 would get you more of the stuff you'll want for HD recording.

1) At least 128MB RAM
2) The fastest, largest HD you can swing
3) A decent soundcard
4) Some cool software

At that price dedicated HD recorders start looking good. But they box you in in ways that a computer based system won't. On the other hand- they're more portable and you'll never see that blue screen of death! Good luck and have fun.

Back